Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2005

Welcome to the Jungle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched!!!

uh just wanted to share with an anonymous board :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Good luck on Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congrats on matching. Doesn't it feel great to have that burden off your shoulders?! We're gonna be radiologists :D

vyness said:
Hey, congrats on matching. Doesn't it feel great to have that burden off your shoulders?! We're gonna be radiologists :D

yeah, it's a pretty awesome feeling. I'm just looking forward to Thurs and the surprises that await :)

hope everyone gets their first pick !

Matched!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

And I am no longer lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is a competitive match this year for radiology?
was it more or less competitive than the last few years?

vyness said:

It is better than getting into medical school if you ask me. Now on top of that you are going to be rich as a rockstar by the time you retire.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
It is better than getting into medical school if you ask me. Now on top of that you are going to be rich as a rockstar by the time you retire.

I love your positive attitude, but there are some poor rockstars out there :)

I hope to be as rich as Mike Tyson someday

Molly Maquire said:
I am radiologist. Hear me roar!

Hey Molly, Al Pacino, Vince where are yall going for rads? Im going to GW (#7 on my list). Shocker :eek:

Hi, I have a question for all of you who matched. I'm a U.S. 3rd year med student, and I'm thinking about doing radiology, but I got a 211 on my STEP 1, and my other grades are about average. Do I have any chance of matching for Radiolgy next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
scootad. said:
Hey Molly, Al Pacino, Vince where are yall going for rads? Im going to GW (#7 on my list). Shocker :eek:
Congrats scootad, and to all those who matched. Hopefully, if I decide to go rads, I'll be among you all at this time in 2006!!!

bigfrank said:
I hope to be as rich as Mike Tyson someday

good to see that you have modest standards given that Tyson has declared bankruptcy and lives in a very modest home in Phoenix. :D

Wow! Vince, thats amazing, a DO matching at a big univ. program in SoCal! You know how many people would die to be in those shoes! Congrats! and enjoy your 4th year bigfrank.

Arealist, you have a chance at a community program if you do some things like take step 2 early, rock it, get killer letters from well known peeps and apply broadly. Good luck.

Goober said:
good to see that you have modest standards given that Tyson has declared bankruptcy and lives in a very modest home in Phoenix. :D
Allow me to introduce you to the Ironic Statement, goober. :rolleyes:

bigfrank said:
Congrats scootad, and to all those who matched. Hopefully, if I decide to go rads, I'll be among you all at this time in 2006!!!

Still undecided? I thought you were rad bound for sure, what is holding you back? Why are you interested in FP over Rads, just wondering as I am dealing with these questions myself.

iatrosB said:
Still undecided? I thought you were rad bound for sure, what is holding you back? Why are you interested in FP over Rads, just wondering as I am dealing with these questions myself.
I have always had an interest in FP. Unlike most people in medical school, however, I refuse to commit myself 100% to a specialty (i.e., Radiology) when I haven't done a rotation in it yet. If I don't love radiology, I'll do FP without reservation.

I like both fields for a variety of reasons. In both fields, you can help patients, but in very different ways. Both allow for a great lifestyle in a rural area, are intellectually stimulating, and truly interest me.

As far as the glaring differences between the two fields (patient contact), that is still something I'm trying to figure out. I am a person that tends to commit to something wholly and currently it involves whether or not I want extensive patient contact or not. In the third year, it's easy to get burned out RE: patient contact, but I'm not sure if this applies to me over my lifetime...

ARealist2 said:
Hi, I have a question for all of you who matched. I'm a U.S. 3rd year med student, and I'm thinking about doing radiology, but I got a 211 on my STEP 1, and my other grades are about average. Do I have any chance of matching for Radiolgy next year?

Yes, you have a chance. Just try to do well on Step II as posted earlier, get to know the PD at your school and maybe join in on a reserch project with one of the rads staff, and apply broadly. Getting to know the PD at your school can open a lot of doors for you, since they can call other programs that you are interested in and put in a good word for you.

I actually scored lower than you on my Step I and matched at my #1 choice (which happened to be my home school... it never hurts to have a home-court advantage). Good luck.

Congrats to everyone on matching and good luck to those applying next year!

If anyone is heading down to sunny Miami, drop me a line... [email protected]

In terms of Step II scores, if Step is average or so, should one take Step II before applying, so that the schools have the scores before they decided to interview you? Or should one take them after the application but before one's interviews?

Why is Step II important anyway? It seems likey everyonte focuses on Step I. Does Step II matter for fellwoships?

Thanks!

bigfrank said:
I have always had an interest in FP. Unlike most people in medical school, however, I refuse to commit myself 100% to a specialty (i.e., Radiology) when I haven't done a rotation in it yet. If I don't love radiology, I'll do FP without reservation.

I like both fields for a variety of reasons. In both fields, you can help patients, but in very different ways. Both allow for a great lifestyle in a rural area, are intellectually stimulating, and truly interest me.

As far as the glaring differences between the two fields (patient contact), that is still something I'm trying to figure out. I am a person that tends to commit to something wholly and currently it involves whether or not I want extensive patient contact or not. In the third year, it's easy to get burned out RE: patient contact, but I'm not sure if this applies to me over my lifetime...

Keep an open mind when you are on your radiology rotation. A radiologist who helped give me some insight into the specialty told me that he actually "hated" his medical school radiology rotation. He initially started training in anesthesiology, then switched to surgery, and finally ended up in Rads at a top program. He said switching to radiology "was the best thing he ever did."

I went to a couple conferences and really tried to get more insight into radiology. I was hooked. Several of my classmates said they hated their radiology rotation and couldn't imagine doing that all day long, but they rotated at hospitals where the medical students were completely ignored. This is common but hopefully you will rotate somewhere where you will be engaged a little bit.

I actually got disenchanted with patient care early on in my core clerkships and decided on radiology BEFORE the actual rotation. All I can say is that today is my last day of actual patient care as a medical student, and I couldn't be happier that I'm going into Radiology. Monday I start my last rotation in medical school, which has even less patient care than radiology, and I'm looking forward to it as well. Hint: 4 week rotation and its going to be cold and the patients are going to be very very still. :D

Vince said:
Monday I start my last rotation in medical school, which has even less patient care than radiology, and I'm looking forward to it as well. Hint: 4 week rotation and its going to be cold and the patients are going to be very very still. :D
Thanks for the advice. I'm doing that rotation too!!