Could Not Match into DR. What are my options now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NolanFan95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 4th year DO medical student who has gotten 255 on step 1 and 241 on step 2. I had 3 LORs and 2 research publications and quite a number of volunteer/work experiences. During this interview season, I have attended 22 TY and 16 DR interviews. Despite ranking all these programs, I was still unable to match. I am truly interested in DR and I don't see myself satisfied with any other specialty. Honestly, I am still baffled and cannot figure out why I did not match :( It is so mentally devastating and I don't know when I will be able to overcome this confusion/hurdle. Please help me. What are my options now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Options for continuing with radiology:

1. Delay graduation, do more research/volunteer/new LOR then reapply in the match for radiology as a medical student.
2. SOAP or match into prelim, reapply to radiology during that year including physician only positions which will allow you to seamlessly continue in radiology after prelim.
3. SOAP into different specialty or find something out of the match then reapply to radiology during that year or continue on with it. Some people point out your program may not have medicare funding for all 4 years if your other specialty doesn't also require 5 years (intern + 4 years). Don't really know all the details of this.
4. Find a nuclear medicine 3 year training program.
5. Graduate and do something else interesting for a year while reapplying.

Recommend talking to a close mentor or advisor for any weaknesses to remediate or offset. Perhaps you didn't apply broadly enough to an appropriate tier. If you apply again, plan on applying to ~100 programs and try to personalize a portion of your personal statement to several programs.

1 and 2 are the most advisable and depend on your financial situation and desire to keep advancing the clock. Can be nice to apply as a student so you're more flexible, but also nice to prove you can do intern stuff, make money, and get intern year out of the way.

Good luck. Life is not over, there are plenty of ways forward. There are even options if you quit medicine, i.e. do an MBA, go into pharma, or just general consulting.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it very much. I actually applied to 111 DR ( Categorical and Advanced) and 89 TY programs during the application cycle and ranked all programs that interviewed me (as mentioned earlier). However, I am still shocked I did not match. Some people with lower qualifications in my class have matched into DR which is also surprising (no offense). Perhaps I should have paid more attention to geographic location when ranking programs, which wouldve helped. Anyway, I plan to continue with option 2 as of now. Btw is residencyswap.org a good website for finding DR PGY2 spots that may open up?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it very much. I actually applied to 111 DR ( Categorical and Advanced) and 89 TY programs during the application cycle and ranked all programs that interviewed me (as mentioned earlier). However, I am still shocked I did not match. Some people with lower qualifications in my class have matched into DR which is also surprising (no offense). Perhaps I should have paid more attention to geographic location when ranking programs, which wouldve helped. Anyway, I plan to continue with option 2 as of now. Btw is residencyswap.org a good website for finding DR PGY2 spots that may open up?
Good call, I would be personally taken option 2 as well.

Sometime after SOAP ends, reach out to programs (PDs or chief residents) where you interviewed via email or twitter ask for feedback on your app/interview. With so many TY and rads interviews, I assume your paper application is fine, but something may be off during interviews.

Thanks once again for the reassurance. You may be right about some of the interviews but most of them felt like they went well and jolly for me. The faculty members and residents were very jovial with me and some even said stuff like "you shouldnt have a problem matching" or "you interview well". So I honestly dont know what happened in the Main Match process if they sounded like they liked me....

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect that if ranked programs by geographic location from closest to farthest to my house I may have had a better chance. Idk i still feel confused. but cant change the past now. btw I just accepted an offer for a TY Program so hopefully some PGY2 Rads positions open up soon so i can contact individual programs and send my app materials

I suspect that if ranked programs by geographic location from closest to farthest to my house I may have had a better chance. Idk i still feel confused. but cant change the past now. btw I just accepted an offer for a TY Program so hopefully some PGY2 Rads positions open up soon so i can contact individual programs and send my app materials
Just as a point of clarification, the order in which you ranked programs had no bearing on your chances of matching. The only thing that would have decreased your chance is not ranking programs you interviewed at.

This type of post scares me. 255 on step 1 with still no match... sheeeeeeeesh

Reactions: 1 users
However, I matched into Transitional Year Program for my PGY-1 year. I am still on the lookout for any potential openings for a Diagnostic Radiology PGY-2 (R1) position in any advanced programs down the road from now on. In the worst-case scenario, I would have to reapply during the next ERAS application season for advanced programs. Therefore, my request to you guys is if you hear about any openings for a PGY-2 Diagnostic Radiology position, please let me know. In addition, please spread the word to any other attendings, residents, and anyone else you know in the radiology field about my concern. I am ready to go anywhere if a position opens up. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
However, I matched into Transitional Year Program for my PGY-1 year. I am still on the lookout for any potential openings for a Diagnostic Radiology PGY-2 (R1) position in any advanced programs down the road from now on. In the worst-case scenario, I would have to reapply during the next ERAS application season for advanced programs. Therefore, my request to you guys is if you hear about any openings for a PGY-2 Diagnostic Radiology position, please let me know. In addition, please spread the word to any other attendings, residents, and anyone else you know in the radiology field about my concern. I am ready to go anywhere if a position opens up. Thank you in advance for your help.
Unfortunately, in this environment you’re gonna have to do all the legwork. No one’s gonna hand out a position to a random guy on sdn. Even though messages posted on AM, sdn, and acr look like they have an open spot, a lot of these places already have people in mind/lined up but they have obligations to technically advertise them. Start making nice with PDs right now.