Matched in 2022 cycle but unable to start on July 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Usmletuto1990

Reaction score
Hey guys i matched into a good program this year and due to unforseen events im unable to start my residency on july 1st, i would like to purse non-competitive IM fellowship, how would starting residency late effect that? What can be the consequence of starting residency late if my PD allows me to start late
Would appreciate any input

Members don't see this ad.

Almost nothing. Lots of people start late for all sorts of reasons, and most fellowships, even the competitive ones, don't really care. They would know you'd be starting late, and they just give the more intense early clinical assignments to the other fellows and have you make it up later on.

That said, it does depend on why you're starting late. If you have some family emergency, or your work visa is delayed -- no one will care about that. If you failed a step, didn't pass a drug test, or need time off to deal with a felony charge -- well that's a different story.

Reactions: 4 users
How much time will you need off until you start? Hopefully you can make up most or all of the time during residency. If not, I believe it's at the discretion of your PD to determine if you need to stay later than your peers at the end of residency. That could then affect when you start fellowship which could cause issues I suppose. I would bet that you'll be able to work it out so that's not an issue though.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at your only other thread, if the unforseen events are related to the content of your since-deleted but obvious question in that thread, then it may be a big problem.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys i matched into a good program this year and due to unforseen events im unable to start my residency on july 1st, i would like to purse non-competitive IM fellowship, how would starting residency late effect that? What can be the consequence of starting residency late if my PD allows me to start late
Would appreciate any input
Like APD said, if the PD is ok with it, nothing will happen. If you were going into a PGY2 in a different field obviously that would complicate thingsand your PGY2 PD would have to approve you too. If it's a categorical program, you should be ok as long as it's due to some non serious issue that you are starting late.