matched in IM, but considering switching to rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone matches in their first choice program on match day!! I am currently a fourth year medical student who has matched in IM categorical and am considering applying to rads for next year's match. My step 1 score is <220 and my step 2ck greater than 230. I do not have any research/pubs in rads, but have done some research in some other fields. I would really appreciate anyone's frank advice as to my chances of being able to switch specialties or the advice of someone else in my situation. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of late to be figuring this out, but you can try. Your numbers are not great for the more competitive places and you may have trouble getting a rad letter during your internship? but you probably could have matched somewhere this year (depending on how low was your step 1?)

Isnt there some issue with the fact that you matched to IM and thus have secured 3yrs of ACGME funding? I had a PD tell me that he preferred that we didnt do IM prelims for this reason.

You might want to see if this will come into play when you apply to rads programs since they will be looking for 5yrs of funding. Ask your program director.

As far as your scores, if you had applied outright you probably would have matched. It is hard to say how competitive switching through the match is. Your best option might be to start looking for programs that get stuck with an open PGY-2 spot toward the end of this year and try to jump in there.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Duplicate... sorry.