Matched in Prelim Year,what are my options .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BretFavre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ,just matched in the prelim year,what are my options ,can I go for Emergency Medicine in the Advanced position.the flip side is I have only Med LOR so ,with that what positions can I scramble into .Yeah I know I sound like a total fruit case.But I am sure the forum has helped many idiots like me before.

Members don't see this ad.

No idea really.
I will say, if u are doing an intern year right now... start getting more LORs, especially in EM... i think they require an SLOR or 2 - I dont know what exactly is the difference because I never had to get that (I have friends doing EM) ... talk to your hospital's EM PD and get connected! Maybe they'll take u outside of the match! If not, have everything ready!

Hello ,just matched in the prelim year,what are my options ,can I go for Emergency Medicine in the Advanced position.the flip side is I have only Med LOR so ,with that what positions can I scramble into .Yeah I know I sound like a total fruit case.But I am sure the forum has helped many idiots like me before.

During the scramble it won't matter that your LORs or Personal statement are written for another specialty than what you're trying to scramble into. Good luck

In case your question was very basic, you can scramble for ANY advanced spot you want -- EM (if there still are PGY2 advanced spots), anesthesia, rads, etc. Whether you'd be competitive for these spots, only you would know. You cannot scramble for ANY categorical spot.

In case your question was very basic, you can scramble for ANY advanced spot you want -- EM (if there still are PGY2 advanced spots), anesthesia, rads, etc. Whether you'd be competitive for these spots, only you would know. You cannot scramble for ANY categorical spot.

Dear aPD ,thank you very much.so say if i matched into a PGY-2 in Rad,a big IF,does that also mean that by extension I have matched into PGY-3 and PGY-4 in the same program .I know it sounds stupid,but I guess I will be stupid for a moment than forever.

Dear aPD ,thank you very much.so say if i matched into a PGY-2 in Rad,a big IF,does that also mean that by extension I have matched into PGY-3 and PGY-4 in the same program .I know it sounds stupid,but I guess I will be stupid for a moment than forever.

Yes, that's correct. It would be just the same as if you matched via the regular match.

to add to apd's response, go on nrmp, see the regional stats released yesterday, scroll all the way to the bottom and look at the pgy2/advanced spots available in the scramble today. EM advanced is totally full. but there are spots in rads, derm, gas, etc.