Matched last choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While they don't make one do 48 hour calls, they do not provide security during in-patient months as much as other programs do. But again, this all based on my current knowledge, I have yet to go there personally and work there. They do verbally berate you if your english is not good or if you do not agree to see a ridiculous number of patients daily.

What I meant by FMG sweatshop is that most of the people who will be working with me, need a place to sponsor their Visas in order to stay in this country. Meaning that they will be willing to take on as much verbal abuse as necessary, will be willing to tolerate work hour violations, lack of supervision, lack of didactics and tons of ACGME violations as needed

Regarding my COMLEX failure, don't you think that the 15 other programs that interviewed me, should have taken that into account before extending an invitation to me?

I am going to give this place a shot like I already mentioned and I am in the midst of my credentialing paperwork. Like Candbgirl mentioned, my ultimate goal is to be able to practice medicine.
well those 15 programs may have gotten past it to extend the invite, but whatever you did at the interview kept them from ranking you, either at all or high enough to match...

you are in the position you are now in because of YOU (seems obvious to everyone but apparently you...) YOU decided that you would forego the AOA match where you had a bunch of interviews (seemingly because you thought you could do better than an AOA residency spot even though you have a failed COMLEX on your record), YOU chose to rank the program on your ROL even though it sound like you really didn't want to go to the place vs going unmatched, YOU got 15+ interviews, which yes, demonstrated that many programs were able to get past the red flags on your application, yet YOU did or did not do something at these interviews that made almost all of these places rank you so low or DNR you that you matched at this "lowly" place...and you somehow think you are "better" than the FMGs that need visas that now you are going to have to work with...you may SAY that you are grateful, but that is not what you are putting out there...by all means, stay the requisite 45 days, tell your PD you wanna leave and wait for next year's match...the likely outcome is that some F/MG that went unmatched will have their dream come true and get an spot with your program's unexpected opening and you will realize how lucky you were come next year's match when you are even less competitive as a year old graduate in a sea of US seniors...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's mind boggling how entitled the OP is. Those FMG's more most likely practicing psychiatrists in their own country and are so thankful to be given a spot. The ACGME psychiatry programs have a limit on how bad the program can be. AOA psychiatry programs you just don't know because the standards are more lax. OP DID even take any of the USMLEs?

I'm actually going to sort of disagree with you here. I don't think his advisor gave him the best advice. Yes, he matched and should be grateful but happiness is important too. I'm sure many of those who did not match even after SOAP would take a spot ANYWHERE no matter the reputation of that program, but he should have been told to rank every program UNLESS he would rather go unmatched than go there. If that's how he felt, and would've taken the chance to SOAP then I think the OP may feel better about the outcome.

I know absolutely nothing about the DO match so I don't think I'm qualified to comment but if you could do both matches, why wouldn't you?

If you match DO you can't match at any of the ACGME. DO match is earlier and if you have 15 interviews in psychiatry you are a sure shot to get one of them.

well those 15 programs may have gotten past it to extend the invite, but whatever you did at the interview kept them from ranking you, either at all or high enough to match...

you are in the position you are now in because of YOU (seems obvious to everyone but apparently you...) YOU decided that you would forego the AOA match where you had a bunch of interviews (seemingly because you thought you could do better than an AOA residency spot even though you have a failed COMLEX on your record), YOU chose to rank the program on your ROL even though it sound like you really didn't want to go to the place vs going unmatched, YOU got 15+ interviews, which yes, demonstrated that many programs were able to get past the red flags on your application, yet YOU did or did not do something at these interviews that made almost all of these places rank you so low or DNR you that you matched at this "lowly" place...and you somehow think you are "better" than the FMGs that need visas that now you are going to have to work with...you may SAY that you are grateful, but that is not what you are putting out there...by all means, stay the requisite 45 days, tell your PD you wanna leave and wait for next year's match...the likely outcome is that some F/MG that went unmatched will have their dream come true and get an spot with your program's unexpected opening and you will realize how lucky you were come next year's match when you are even less competitive as a year old graduate in a sea of US seniors...

You are absolutely correct and I understand that I am responsible for this. I do think it is unfair, however, for the programs that I interviewed at to send me follow up correspondence saying how glad they were to have met me and how much they think I would have been a good fit for them. That gave me more confidence to not rank the AOA match. But nothing in life is fair.

Regardless, I am going to make the most out of these 4 years, do well on my PRITE, and I have been actively looking for ways to bring my family here. My wife has been tremendoulsy supprotive.

I do think it is unfair, however, for the programs that I interviewed at to send me follow up correspondence saying how glad they were to have met me and how much they think I would have been a good fit for them. That gave me more confidence to not rank the AOA match.

That's another example of bad advising. You should have been told not to put any stock into those "love notes." At my school even the very strong applicants were basically told to delete such notes immediately. Anybody who let you go through the process without thinking the entire time that not matching was a very real possibility, did you a huge disservice. (That includes you too, since a little research would've clarified your prospects as a DO applicant with a failed Step.) I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but again thinking about someone in a similar situation who might come across this thread later.

I'm really glad to hear that you and your family are preparing for your new program. Remember, compared to the time you spend actually practicing medicine, this will just be a footnote.

Reactions: 3 users
OP...If I was your counselor I would told you to avoid NRMP. With a failed COMLEX you are lucky you matched at all. You should have apply broadly to AOA instead.

But what's in the past is in the past. You are now an incoming resident at a program you ranked. You made your bed...now you have to lay in it. The alternative is much worse.

Think about the silver lining here. Anything you encounter in the next 4 years is unlikely to be as bad as what the AVERAGE resident had to go through 30 years ago.

Think about the silver lining here. Anything you encounter in the next 4 years is unlikely to be as bad as what the AVERAGE resident had to go through 30 years ago.

that is what my dad kept telling me during my residency...and i amused him to no end while i was an intern and resident.

OP...If I was your counselor I would told you to avoid NRMP. With a failed COMLEX you are lucky you matched at all. You should have apply broadly to AOA instead.

But what's in the past is in the past. You are now an incoming resident at a program you ranked. You made your bed...now you have to lay in it. The alternative is much worse.

I know what's done is done. But if it gives you some persepctive, I was not getting a lot of interviews at the AOA places and I had gotten so much out of the ACGME interviews, I thought I would match at some of the great places that were local...and I lost that gamble.

I know what's done is done. But if it gives you some persepctive, I was not getting a lot of interviews at the AOA places and I had gotten so much out of the ACGME interviews, I thought I would match at some of the great places that were local...and I lost that gamble.
part of the problem was that you believed the sweet nothings told to you by PDs...it is well known that you should not believe what they tell you about fitting in so well, ranking you highly, etc..for whatever reason, the programs fawn all over the applicants (which is such the reverse from applying to med school that it can turn your head), but we know to take it with a grain of salt (a lump of salt actually).

part of the problem was that you believed the sweet nothings told to you by PDs...it is well known that you should not believe what they tell you about fitting in so well, ranking you highly, etc..for whatever reason, the programs fawn all over the applicants (which is such the reverse from applying to med school that it can turn your head), but we know to take it with a grain of salt (a lump of salt actually).

Yes, I admit that was part of the problem.

However, my case is quite a unique example in history, who could imagine, that with 16 interviews, I would match? The general consensus is if you don't match in 8 you won't match in 20. Perhaps, this program really wanted me because they saw something good in me? Regardless, I have submitted the extensive paperwork and will now wait to move in 2 months.

Also, regarding my application, otherwise, I was in the middle of my class, no failures/repeats, just one COMLEX exam I failed by a few points, then had markedly improvement on the next one.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we've all hit home the same points enogh for the OP. He gets it. The advising he had could've been better but what's done is done and he's looking positively towards to future. Good luck so721, I hope this residency turns out better than you expected.

Reactions: 1 users