Matched PM&R but not prelim!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sid876

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what's up everybody,

So after all the madness of the match process I found I matched into PM&R. Interestingly if you call the nrmp you can find out what city you matched in if you fail to get a prelim spot. So I know exactly where I'm gonna be. But anyway, I applied to the full 30 positions in SOAP but split it between 15 medicine/15 surgery. I haven't heard back from any of the programs and am really praying I get a phone interview tomorrow and an offer by wednesday. I heard you get an advanced spot you should have no problem getting a prelim spot. If I don't get a spot by wednesday, I'm gonna be sure to just apply to prelim surgery the rest of the way just to ensure I get a PGY-1 position. Has anybody ever heard of people not getting a spot through the scramble, and in the event that happens to me what can I do? Does our PM&R program we got into help us find one? I am just really praying I get something! Oh and also I should mention I am am USIMG from SGU if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot for reply. yeah I heard if you have an advanced position it's easier to get a prelim spot through the scramble (SOAP). I'm just so glad I matched PM&R this year considering how competitive it was.

Talk to the program you matched to for rehab- they may be able to pull some strings at their institution

Talk to the program you matched to for rehab- they may be able to pull some strings at their institution
Thanks Taus. But we're not gonna know where we matched until friday till after the scramble (SOAP) is over, although I figured it out by calling NRMP. I am hoping that there will still be left over positions (most likely prelim surg). Has anybody you know have done this successfully?

If you have information use it to your benefit. Call your program.

its a match violation to try to contact programs now. I guess i just have to sit tight and hope i get something by friday. still no calls, emails, etc, and its tues 12:45pm!

its a match violation to try to contact programs now. I guess i just have to sit tight and hope i get something by friday. still no calls, emails, etc, and its tues 12:45pm!

Very true! Be careful with communication. I'm sure that you will find something. Congrats!

i had heard if you are missing a prelim year, they will tell you geographically where you are going to help plan.

I'm having a real hard time getting anything through this SOAP thing. just one email but no offers. When I called the NRMP people they told me the city I matched in which was Houston so I know what program I'm gonna be at. Do you think they might be able to find me a spot. I know it was mentioned before but has anybody had any experience of this actually happening where they asked the program for help?

In the exact same boat as you, this whole soap process is so drawn out and long it just prolongs the stress. Since everyone's new to this process I think it's especially hard for us as we have no guideline for expectations....