Matched radiology, but keep in touch with other programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aunt_mildred

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to receive several "ranked to match" calls from PDs/chairs/other faculty during this year's application cycle. I ended up matching at one of these (a top 2-3 program), but 2 of those calls were from programs in my hometown, which is a large, desirable city with a horrible job market for radiology. My goal is academic neurorads, and I would love to eventually work at one of the two academic programs in my hometown. I got to know some of the academic neuroradiologists in those two departments mainly from the interview day and some follow-up phone conversations in February, and I expressed a lot of interest in both programs (I really was interested, and ended up ranking them #2 and #3 on my ROL). I also got to know the PDs and chairs pretty well from both places. However, after match day I have not communicated with anyone at these departments, except for one junior faculty who I know from college, and who I emailed to say congratulations on their match and to let him know where I matched.

My question is this: is it courteous to reach out at this point to maintain good relations with these two departments so that ~6 years from now I might have a better chance of getting an academic job in my hometown? I almost want to say something like "sorry I did not rank you #1--I really love you guys though!!" because I do feel like I let them down by being so interested in them yet still going elsewhere. Ultimately though I could not pass up the chance to train at a really amazing program that is top-notch in every section (except maybe IR, but I have no interest in that), and these are smaller and generally lower-regarded programs (but still great academic places) so hopefully my decision will be understandable. Would doing this at this point just be awkward??

Members don't see this ad.

Would doing this at this point just be awkward??

Yes. Awkward.

I would keep in touch with the junior faculty that you know personally intermittently. When the time comes to apply for fellowship, contact them again. If you really want to be in that town, you may need to do fellowship there to network appropriately.

Yes. Awkward.

I would keep in touch with the junior faculty that you know personally intermittently. When the time comes to apply for fellowship, contact them again. If you really want to be in that town, you may need to do fellowship there to network appropriately.

Well the hard part is that I might have to do a second fellowship in order to do one there. My SO is planning on IM-->GI which is a 6 year track so I need to be in our new city for 6 years. That's why I would like to keep the networking strong during residency if possible since I might not have the opportunity to do a fellowship in my hometown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the hard part is that I might have to do a second fellowship in order to do one there. My SO is planning on IM-->GI which is a 6 year track so I need to be in our new city for 6 years. That's why I would like to keep the networking strong during residency if possible since I might not have the opportunity to do a fellowship in my hometown.

I'm really confused why you are so concerned about living in this city that you would be willing to do a 2nd fellowship but you ranked programs that were in said city no. 2 and no. 3. Why didn't you just rank one of those as no. 1? I think it would look terrible if you contacted them and would seem odd/awkward.

Just try to do fellowship at one of those places but don't do anything out of the ordinary.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really confused why you are so concerned about living in this city that you would be willing to do a 2nd fellowship but you ranked programs that were in said city no. 2 and no. 3. Why didn't you just rank one of those as no. 1? I think it would look terrible if you contacted them and would seem odd/awkward.

Just try to do fellowship at one of those places but don't do anything out of the ordinary.

So lets get this straight...

1. Your goal is to work at an academic center in your hometown.
2. The job market is especially poor in your hometown.
3. You got interviews at excellent programs in your hometown.
4. You have a spouse/significant other that wants to be in your hometown.

and yet you ranked another program higher...

In the words of Sgt. Lincoln Osiris...

Reactions: 3 users
Never ceases to amaze me how short sighted people are to chase a more reputable name. This isn't Med school. There are no rankings. No group in Manhattan wants a random person from ucsf over a well connected nyu/Cornell/Columbia/etc strong resident that the group has known contacts who can vouch for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Never ceases to amaze me how short sighted people are to chase a more reputable name. This isn't Med school. There are no rankings. No group in Manhattan wants a random person from ucsf over a well connected nyu/Cornell/Columbia/etc strong resident that the group has known contacts who can vouch for.

No joke.

Picking an MGH over a UCSD if you want to be in California, or a Duke over USC, or a UCSF over Mt. Sinai is just plain dumb.

Last edited: