Matching after multiple attempts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FailureIMG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen IMG (Caribbean graduate). My Step 1 score is 221 (4th attempt), Step 2 CK score is 227 (3rd attempt), and I passed my CS on my first attempt. I wonder if I can match anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough case! You should apply to every low tier IM/psych programs in the country... Some people will say to take step 3 to make yourself more competitive.

Also, if you speak or even understand Spanish, you can look at the non AGCME accredited 1-2 year programs in Puerto Rico. Someone I know from a Carib school did that and he was able to get a GP license in some states and now working in an underserved community... GL!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You would need a lot of foot work, careful planning and connection. Keep a positive attitude. FailureIMG as a user name I don't think is one of them. Look into the assistant physician (AP) option in the state of Missouri.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would think 3 failures on step 1 (and 2 for step 2) would pretty much disqualify you from being able to obtain a medical license in most states. I would look into that before wasting $$$ applying.

Thanks for advice everyone. I choose 'FailureIMG' just to be funny, nothing else :banana:

Nevertheless, I'm very motivated. Sure, I failed, but no one died; furthermore, you won't find many Caribbean graduates with scores like 221 and 227 on Step 1 and CK. I'm applying for MATCH this season. I scored a 240+ on the Step 3 NBME; if I don't match this year I'll apply again next year with Step 3 scores.

Will keep you updated.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for advice everyone. I choose 'FailureIMG' just to be funny, nothing else :banana:

Nevertheless, I'm very motivated. Sure, I failed, but no one died; furthermore, you won't find many Caribbean graduates with scores like 221 and 227 on Step 1 and CK. I'm applying for MATCH this season. I scored a 240+ on the Step 3 NBME; if I don't match this year I'll apply again next year with Step 3 scores.

Will keep you updated.
I would apply to every one of the least desirable IM, FM, psych, and peds programs in the country. You need to match this first time, as you already have six major red flags (Carib+five failures), so you need to try and go to the places that are as troubled as you are. While "no one died" because of your failures, you have a substantial chance of failing your specialty boards due to your Step performance, which is something programs really, really don't want to risk, as it makes them look quite bad.

Reactions: 2 users
You would need a lot of foot work, careful planning and connection. Keep a positive attitude. FailureIMG as a user name I don't think is one of them. Look into the assistant physician (AP) option in the state of Missouri.

The Missouri option is only available to graduates of MD/DO schools in the U.S.

Do you fear you will fail your board tests when the time comes? I mean you consistently failed these tests without fixing the issue. Your case almost turns into an ethical one.

Do you fear you will fail your board tests when the time comes? I mean you consistently failed these tests without fixing the issue. Your case almost turns into an ethical one.

That's a good question. I'm not sure if it matters, but I'll pass my Step 3 on first attempt.

I would apply to every one of the least desirable IM, FM, psych, and peds programs in the country. You need to match this first time, as you already have six major red flags (Carib+five failures), so you need to try and go to the places that are as troubled as you are. While "no one died" because of your failures, you have a substantial chance of failing your specialty boards due to your Step performance, which is something programs really, really don't want to risk, as it makes them look quite bad.

Thanks for the advice. Will make sure I apply to the right places.

The Missouri option is only available to graduates of MD/DO schools in the U.S.

Not true. Available for US MD and US FMG. Must be a US citizens or permanent resident status.

I'll make the list for you. You can never practice in:
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
?Kansas?
Minnesota (can practice after residency if you obtain a license in another state)
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Texas (Can practice of BC/BE in another state for 5 years without issue)
Wisconsin

Don't apply to residencies in these states, as you cannot obtain a medical license for residency. Other than that, you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
furthermore, you won't find many Caribbean graduates with scores like 221 and 227 on Step 1 and CK.

You're right, many Caribbean graduates will have significantly higher scores.

Reactions: 6 users
If I were in your situation, I'd start looking for options outside of clinical medicine.

Unless language is a massive barrier, I'd say that passing (or even acing) exams is the easiest part of medicine.

By all means give it a shot, but your chances are slim. Sorry. The Caribbean IMGs I know (at quite low level IM programs) had higher Step 1 scores on first attempt. One failure is seriously bad. Multiple on both steps is not something that can be overcome short of extenuating circumstances (very special connections).

I say this not to be a douche, but to be as honest as possible. I would start looking at other degrees and options that will allow you to move on and be successful. I know other people in your situation who wasted years in the same rut without moving on.

Ask your school for statistics. No one here can give you an absolute answer. If you are asking if it is possible, I suspect the answer is yes. Will it happen... no. Programs who take you will be taking a huge risk when there are many more other IMGS that pass boards first or second attempt. You failed Step 1 and Step 2 multiple times. I know this is not what you want to hear but this is the situation.

With that said...try applying this year. If you don't get in, I doubt you will be accepted in the subsequent years. Sorry but you failed the board 5 times. ... its not like you fixed the problem after you passed step 1

I think if OP wants to be a US physician, he has to do what I said above... Use the PR loophole. I know people who did it and they are working as GP (general practitioner) in the US now making anywhere 140k-180k/year. It's not an ideal situation, but it's a heck of a lot better than not matching or going back to school to become a NP.

Agree with above and advise moving on.

By all means give it a shot, but your chances are slim. Sorry. The Caribbean IMGs I know (at quite low level IM programs) had higher Step 1 scores on first attempt. One failure is seriously bad. Multiple on both steps is not something that can be overcome short of extenuating circumstances (very special connections).

I say this not to be a douche, but to be as honest as possible. I would start looking at other degrees and options that will allow you to move on and be successful. I know other people in your situation who wasted years in the same rut without moving on.

I actually met someone who was accepted at a DO program and a Caribbean school but for some reason chose to go Caribbean, now she is wishing she never made that decision, and I told her to choose the DO school but she wanted "MD" behind her name.

<20% of my class usually ace these exams... I guess my peers are not that smart. You must be going to a top 20.
No, you were right the first time, man. Just a humble brag

This is why they won't touch you. Too much risk of failure. Fail the anesthesia boards 3 times and you have to remediate a year before you can try again. You think many PDs want anything to do with someone that has demonstrated extreme difficulty with standardized tests?
Out of curiosity, what percent of people you started medical school with graduated on time and secured full residencies (not just prelim years)? I imagine you can give us an estimate.

Most US medical schools both MD and DO usually give you about 3 chances to pass the board exams, the OP took the USMLE four times. Seeing how things have gotten for residency placement over the past 8 years or so, the prognosis is poor for the OP to get a residency.

You will never know until you apply.

You will never know until you apply.

Ehh, in this case you kind of do. Caribbean US IMGs who passed on their first attempts with 230s-250s on the Steps still crap their pants about their chances and apply to hundreds of programs. And here we're talking about someone with 3 Step 1 failures, 2 Step 2 CK failures, mediocre scores on the passing attempts, and the fact that some states will never give them a medical license due to the failures. OP isn't just in the bottom of the barrel, OP is the bottom of the barrel.

OP, if I were you, I'd only apply if I had a stack of money I was otherwise going to set on fire. Time to start getting realistic and looking for job opportunities outside of clinical practice.

Ehh, in this case you kind of do. Caribbean US IMGs who passed on their first attempts with 230s-250s on the Steps still crap their pants about their chances and apply to hundreds of programs. And here we're talking about someone with 3 Step 1 failures, 2 Step 2 CK failures, mediocre scores on the passing attempts, and the fact that some states will never give them a medical license due to the failures. OP isn't just in the bottom of the barrel, OP is the bottom of the barrel.

OP, if I were you, I'd only apply if I had a stack of money I was otherwise going to set on fire. Time to start getting realistic and looking for job opportunities outside of clinical practice.

The OP already has essentially set a pile of money on fire if he doesn't apply to residency. I suspect he has quite a bit of medical school debt and realistically no way to pay it back without practicing.

So apply broadly, take step 3 (and pass on your first try) and hope you get a spot somewhere. As someone said, every community FM, IM, peds, psych and perhaps PMR program

Are you an idiot? Most Caribbean students barely get over 210. I know, I went to the Caribbean and most people in my class dropped out.

ULTRON

You're right, many Caribbean graduates will have significantly higher scores.

Whether you can match or not depends only on you. Pass the Step 3, do research, publish, and get connected with the medical community. Staring at the computer screen and posting on online forums won't help you. I've seen plenty of doctors who don't deserve to be doctors; that's why medical malpractice was created. Also, don't listen to the douchebags on this forum.

ULTRON

I'm a US citizen IMG (Caribbean graduate). My Step 1 score is 221 (4th attempt), Step 2 CK score is 227 (3rd attempt), and I passed my CS on my first attempt. I wonder if I can match anywhere.

depends only on you

Unfortunately, OP has put him/herself in such a precarious situation that, in fact, despite doing everything you suggested (or even more), there's still a high likelihood of never matching to any program in the US.

The OP already has essentially set a pile of money on fire if he doesn't apply to residency. I suspect he has quite a bit of medical school debt and realistically no way to pay it back without practicing.

At this point it's about cutting your losses. But ok -- what's another couple thousand to burn I suppose? But OP should be busting his/her bottom during the app season on Plan B so after the match is done, there will at least be something to land on.

So apply broadly, take step 3 (and pass on your first try) and hope you get a spot somewhere. As someone said, every community FM, IM, peds, psych and perhaps PMR program

A first-time pass is the expectation for Step 3, and will not do much to repair the OP's record.

Oh and PM&R fills every spot in the match. Someone with OP's record shouldn't waste their money on PM&R unless they have a long-standing passion for the field.

Are you an idiot? Most Caribbean students barely get over 210. I know, I went to the Caribbean and most people in my class dropped out.

ULTRON

I bet those who match have a much better score than a 210. Sure the average Caribbean student barely passes (or flat out fails) but those who match generally have otherwise competitive applications

I am in a difficult situation, I don't know to retire or follow about medical residence in US. I read your situation, after the all time, what happened??, Can did you match anywhere?

I am in a difficult situation, I don't know to retire or follow about medical residence in US. I read your situation, after the all time, what happened??, Can did you match anywhere?
OP has not been here in about 3 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.