This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’ve been interested in ophtho since MS1 and unfortunately my step 1 is way below my practices (tanked real deal mid-pandemic). Got a 22x
I dont think these standardized tests are my strong suit..

I go to a midtier MD school on East coast and don’t mind location when it comes to matching. Doing fairly well on rotations so far. Away rotations may or may not be in place for my class though due to COVID.

That being said, is all hope lost for matching ophtho?
Not sure what to tell you. The most recent SF match data is here: https://sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/Ophthalmology_Residency_Stats_2020.pdf

The median step 1 score is 247, and the 25th percentile is 239. Clearly that means that 25% of matched applicants had a lower score, and some number in the tail of that bell-curve probably had a 22x. Those successful applicants probably had applications that were stellar in every other aspect. The unmatched mean was 233.

Your best chance to match is almost certainly going to be matching at your current institution assuming they have a residency program. Basically, you need to have a really honest discussion with some of your mentors in the field.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’ve been interested in ophtho since MS1 and unfortunately my step 1 is way below my practices (tanked real deal mid-pandemic). Got a 22x
I dont think these standardized tests are my strong suit..

I go to a midtier MD school on East coast and don’t mind location when it comes to matching. Doing fairly well on rotations so far. Away rotations may or may not be in place for my class though due to COVID.

That being said, is all hope lost for matching ophtho?
If you do apply for ophthalmology you should also apply for a backup specialty. Your chances of matching are low unless you have a ton of ophthalmology publications, a PhD, connections with well-known ophthalmologists, and/or a home department that will keep you.

Status
Not open for further replies.