Matching Competitive Specialities in Medical School (No Undergraduate Research)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My primary interests aren't considered highly competitive specialties, but I want to give myself as many options in the future since this is certainly subject to change. I just graduated from college and have no research experience, I will be applying next cycle. I know having multiple publications in medical school is important for matching into competitive specialties. Will these research opportunities be available to me without prior experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I came in to medical school with no research, I now have 3 projects under my belt. Just make sure you apply to schools that have good research opportunities “built in” to their program.

There will be a few physicians or PIs who will look for students with more research experience, but it's still going to be relatively easy to find research as a medical student. Send out dozens of cold emails and eventually you'll get a few response.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I came in to medical school with no research, I now have 3 projects under my belt. Just make sure you apply to schools that have good research opportunities “built in” to their program.
what schools do you know have built in? like those that require a thesis?

what schools do you know have built in? like those that require a thesis?
You have to do your research to find that out. My school has dedicated time between M1/M2, and again during M4 for research, with plenty of faculty always looking for students to help.

It's like stupid easy to get research experience at many medical schools, don't sweat it. Your lack of undergraduate research will have no bearing on your residency chances. You may wanna get your feet wet for med school apps though.