Am I competitive enough for medical school? GPA discrepancy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2fibby

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering, I am a student currently in undergrad. I wanted to ask a few questions. I was wondering about my stats. Currently, I have a 3.856 cumulative gpa and a 3.74something science gpa. Would I be competitive enough for medical school? Also, how about if I were to try for an MD-PhD program? Just curious. I haven't taken the mcat yet, and I still have to complete undergrad lol. Gonna be a junior this year. Lmk what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot more to being competitive at medical school than just your GPA. Yes, you have competitive GPAs for many medical schools if you maintain them or even improve them. However, you will also need a competitive MCAT, clinical exposure, service to the underserved, and research if you are thinking of an MD/Ph.D. Finally, you will need to present your qualifications and reason for why you want to be a doctor effectively via your primary and secondary applications.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys,

I was wondering, I am a student currently in undergrad. I wanted to ask a few questions. I was wondering about my stats. Currently, I have a 3.856 cumulative gpa and a 3.74something science gpa. Would I be competitive enough for medical school? Also, how about if I were to try for an MD-PhD program? Just curious. I haven't taken the mcat yet, and I still have to complete undergrad lol. Gonna be a junior this year. Lmk what you guys think.
One factor you have to consider is your state of residence. About 60% of the seats in MD granting medical schools are state owned. These state owned seats are not evenly distributed throughout the country. State owned medical schools generally discriminate in favor of their own residents. This leads to varying average MCAT scores and GPAs among matriculants by state. See this:

Check out the MCAT difference between New Hampshire and South Dakota.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was wondering, I am a student currently in undergrad....
I'm not worried about your GPA right now. I want to know about your experiences that point you towards a commitment to healthcare.
Also, how about if I were to try for an MD-PhD program? Just curious. I haven't taken the mcat yet, and I still have to complete undergrad lol. Gonna be a junior this year. Lmk what you guys think.
How much research have you done? Papers and conferences? Strong relationships with mentors and PIs?

Submit a WAMC. Go to the Research Scientists forum for MSTP discussions.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

A 0.1 difference in GPA is irrelevant.

Invest in MSAR Online to see whete your stats will be competitive.

Reactions: 3 users
I got into med school with a 3.4 GPA. Grades ain't everything.

Reactions: 1 users