Matching EM: How much does research help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am looking to match EM in a program that I choose; in light of this, I want to become the most competitive applicant I can be. I know research is a big deal in many fields but not so much in EM - I was wondering how much does research help? Is a publication in EM something that would significantly help my application?

I currently have 4 clinical papers in other fields but nothing in EM. Should I start working in the ED in terms of research?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am looking to match EM in a program that I choose; in light of this, I want to become the most competitive applicant I can be. I know research is a big deal in many fields but not so much in EM - I was wondering how much does research help? Is a publication in EM something that would significantly help my application?

I currently have 4 clinical papers in other fields but nothing in EM. Should I start working in the ED in terms of research?

Thanks

You already have published research, I highly doubt another paper specifically in EM is going to make that much of a difference. Maybe at a handful of programs, but overall, I would say it wouldn't matter.

Hey,

Thanks

In general what you have is sufficient for most places. Unless you decide you want to go to one of the EM research powerhouses; those places will probably give you more notice if you have some EM specific publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree - you're fine. But do something to show you're interested or committed to EM. 4 papers in other fields shows you've been interested in other things.

In general what you have is sufficient for most places. Unless you decide you want to go to one of the EM research powerhouses; those places will probably give you more notice if you have some EM specific publications.

What are the EM-research powerhouses?

I would second showing your commitment to EM by having an EMRA membership, choosing EM rotations, etc. Research in EM is not critically important from my experience on our residency selection committee. I think programs that consider themselves research powerhouses would probably be all the K12 fellowship programs (Vandy, Mount Sinai, OHSU, Penn), and some of the four year non-county academic programs. However, with that said, our program has multiple NIH funded researchers on staff and puts little stock into medical students having performed research. Having done research is definitely a bonus, but is far less important than board scores, great SLORs and core rotation performance.

I did a bunch of research in med school. I was asked about it on one interview. Whether or not it helped me get more interviews, or get ranked higher places, I can't say for sure, but nobody seemed very interested. It sounds like you've done more than enough.

I would second showing your commitment to EM by having an EMRA membership, choosing EM rotations, etc. Research in EM is not critically important from my experience on our residency selection committee. I think programs that consider themselves research powerhouses would probably be all the K12 fellowship programs (Vandy, Mount Sinai, OHSU, Penn), and some of the four year non-county academic programs. However, with that said, our program has multiple NIH funded researchers on staff and puts little stock into medical students having performed research. Having done research is definitely a bonus, but is far less important than board scores, great SLORs and core rotation performance.

Is there a list of the K12 fellowship programs? Sorry, I am not really sure what K12 means and a good search turned up mostly stuff about k-12 school systems

I did a bunch of research in med school. I was asked about it on one interview. Whether or not it helped me get more interviews, or get ranked higher places, I can't say for sure, but nobody seemed very interested. It sounds like you've done more than enough.

I did my research because I enjoyed it and not as a checklist and I am glad I got papers out of it. Thank you all for your responses!

interesting, i had the opposite experience. i was asked about it in pretty much every interview

on the grand scheme of things i don't think research weighs that much. it shows you can write and possibly make the program look better if you do something for them. plus it's a requirement for graduation so they're going to get something out of you sooner or later. I was rarely asked that on the interview trail and I can't even recall asking that now on current rotating students/applicants.

your application MS4 time is limited to now until jan-feb so make the most of it. you want to really impress and be an outstanding candidate, rotate at the place you want to go and knock it out of the park. regardless of your background, if they like you they'll want you there. nrmp.com has some info on what's deemed important in each specialty