Matching into West coast from East coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that matching into any academic school in cali is tough for anyone, but is there any chance for me to grab a spot with absolutely no ties to the state? I have some distant family but that's about it. I honestly just want to start new in a new environment and I feel that cali would be a great fit for me. The weather, people, and environment all match well with me and I believe that it would be a great place to raise a family. I just wish that it wasn't so difficult to match. Anyone from the east coast successfully match? I'm thinking IM right now. If it's near impossible, any other places that have a similar vibe to cali?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of it unfortunately depends on the pedigree of your med school. Like if you go to a place like Harvard on the east coast, that is much different than going to no-name state school (no offense). Also a lot depends on how your institution has matched in the past and what type of track record it has w/residency directors on west coast.

Not sure what year you're in, but if you want to match in Cali start making connections there. Maybe take a research year there, do away rotations there, etc. The most important part, besides these connections and the pedigree of your school, is simply your performance in medical school.

Unless you are a super star, you are going to have to look at community programs to have a shot at matching in CA (some community programs on the coast are even tough). Be willing to hand over an arm and leg for the COL.

If not, do well in a University program outside of the state, then go to CA as soon as you are an attending!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m from NY, trying to match to California as well (US MD school). I’ve been told to do aways there at places I’d want to go within reach (UCLA, Cedars, etc.). It seems they take you more seriously if you show you’re committed to coming.

I’ve also been told that a good Step 1 score (and equally good Step 2) can open doors for us poor freezing snow-hating northeasterners trying to escape.

Send me a PM if you want to talk, I’d love to hear your perspective and share thoughts.

It’s definitely possible in a less competitive specialty like IM, assuming your numbers/personality are ok. Coastal/big city programs will be more competitive obviously. Those in the valley much less so, though Sacramento is nice. Central coast of CA is a desireable place to be but rather rural-they have a program or two and they may be less competitive. I think northern CA true NorCal-north of SF/Santa Rosa) may have a program or two.

While I know most outside call us “Cali,” few people that live here use the term (we say the whole name, or NorCal/SoCal). I think maybe more people in SoCal use the term Cali, but to many of us it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

No one is going to reject you or think less of you for using the term. Just a public service announcement.

And yes, do aways to show you really are interested in coming.

Look up home prices/rent ahead of time! COL is ridiculous. Honestly you’ll be working so much you won’t really get to enjoy it-I did med school/residency in the Midwest and loved it and am now back home in CA. CA is great, but I coulda bought a boat if I stayed in the Midwest. Granted, my kind of boat is a canoe/kayak, so I can still afford one here, but you get the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It’s definitely possible in a less competitive specialty like IM, assuming your numbers/personality are ok. Coastal/big city programs will be more competitive obviously. Those in the valley much less so, though Sacramento is nice. Central coast of CA is a desireable place to be but rather rural-they have a program or two and they may be less competitive. I think northern CA true NorCal-north of SF/Santa Rosa) may have a program or two.

While I know most outside call us “Cali,” few people that live here use the term (we say the whole name, or NorCal/SoCal). I think maybe more people in SoCal use the term Cali, but to many of us it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

No one is going to reject you or think less of you for using the term. Just a public service announcement.

And yes, do aways to show you really are interested in coming.

Look up home prices/rent ahead of time! COL is ridiculous. Honestly you’ll be working so much you won’t really get to enjoy it-I did med school/residency in the Midwest and loved it and am now back home in CA. CA is great, but I coulda bought a boat if I stayed in the Midwest. Granted, my kind of boat is a canoe/kayak, so I can still afford one here, but you get the point.

I would only add that SoCal is cheaper than the Bay Area. We could afford toys like kayaks and nice bikes as residents.

I would only add that SoCal is cheaper than the Bay Area. We could afford toys like kayaks and nice bikes as residents.

Very true. The joke was meant more to suggest I’d have enough money for a sailboat if I stayed in the Midwest! (I have no idea what one actually costs-I’m probably hyperbolizing here)

SoCal still isn’t cheap though! It’s still bonkers. Just less so than the Bay Area.