Matching IR Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dosdoitbetter

finally registered lol...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in pursuing an IR fellowship after I complete my Rads residency. It is not such a competitive fellowship, but I want to try to match at a top tier program.

Can you guys please rank the importance of the following things for successfully matching a fellowship? (most important first)

curriculum vitae, research, letters of recommendation, american board of radiology exam scores, USMLE/COMLEX transcript, rotating through

Please include any other suggestions/advice/tips. Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Above all
1. Letters of recommendation*
should be from someone well known in IR. If you get a glowing letter from a big name IR, you can write your ticket. IR is a small world.

2. CV of course but, many of the things you listed actually would go into your CV.

3. Research is helpful but not necessary. it can get you a good L.O.R.

4. Rotations can help if you make a good impression. In general residency isn't like Medschool. Not all programs offer away rotations

Nobody cares about ABR scores or USMLE as long as you passed.

If you can find a good residency that also has a top fellowship thats your best bet. Most fellowhip programs give preference to their own.