matching preliminary and advanced track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ga5man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have applied to prelim progs in medicine and advanced anesthesia progs in one hospital. Most of my anes application were for categorical track. Now during the match, if i dont match in the prlim prog and match in the advanced prog what will be my message on mar12th? This is assuming i donot match anywhere else. will i get a regret and congrats msg? i was wanting to know cos i might have to scramble for the prelim spot.
cheers,
ga5man

Members don't see this ad.

This is the message you'll get on March 12th.

This is from the nrmp.org website (http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/user.html. Hope this helps.

2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first-year position!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to an advanced
position, but did not match to a preliminary position listed on his/her
supplemental rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have
access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain a preliminary position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different advanced position.

I was just wondering. I didn't get any interviews for Prelim in Anes... But I did get interviews in IM and Peds Categorical. Is it okay for me to put that in the supplemental list in my Advanced Anes program?

No. Categorical interviews are for categorical spots. On your prelim rank list you will only be able to rank positions with a "P0" at the end (or P1, P2, etc). Prelim and categorical rank lists are different, so a program ranking you on their cat list will not help you match into a prelim spot.

If ROL deadlines were not 1 hour away, you could consider contacting any cat program that you interviewed in who has a prelim prog and asked if you could be ranked there, but it's a bit too late for that now (and might not help, or even "hurt" you if programs decided you weren't serious about categorical medicine and de-listed you).

In any case, there are usually many prelim spots in the scramble, and if your application is sufficient to get an anesthesia spot you'll almost certainly scramble into a prelim slot. Perhaps not in the program/city of your choice, though.