Matching Radiology Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manny24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to match community Radiology? I know the average USMLE is 240, but I heard the grades are much lower for the community programs.

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to match community Radiology? I know the average USMLE is 240, but I heard the grades are much lower for the community programs.

Agree w/Highwind, definitely depends on location. I matched at a community place and I had 240s/250s on my usmles

Members don't see this ad :)
How is the job market for radiologists overall though? Does graduating from a community program severely handicap your job prospects?

1) The job market right now is great.

2)Not as much as you'd think for, for a couple of reasons.
-If you want to stay in the area, there's nothing better than a 4-year job interview.
-Community-trained residents are often sought after for Ivory tower fellowships because they know you can handle the clinical volume. A lot of high-level residency programs are known for coddling their residents and letting the fellows do the work. So if you go to a community residency but still want the name on your CV, its totally possible.

Reactions: 1 user
1) The job market right now is great.

2)Not as much as you'd think for, for a couple of reasons.
-If you want to stay in the area, there's nothing better than a 4-year job interview.
-Community-trained residents are often sought after for Ivory tower fellowships because they know you can handle the clinical volume. A lot of high-level residency programs are known for coddling their residents and letting the fellows do the work. So if you go to a community residency but still want the name on your CV, its totally possible.

Appreciate the reply! I keep looking at satisfaction rates, match rates (90%+ if 210+ as a DO), income, and feel like I must be missing something. I keep reading but just do not get it.

I was wondering if it was that community programs put you at a disadvantage, and that's why lower tier programs are easier to get into, but I guess not.