Matching to radiology with previous internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fangbacks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to radiology via ERAS this cycle.

I have completed a different residency, which had a rotating internship involving stints in medicine, surgery, and the like.

Is there a general way to determine if the internship is sufficient enough such that I will not have to repeat it, in part or in whole, with a transitional or prelim year, or does that vary by program?

Members don't see this ad.

The ABR website lists requirements for what your intern year can or can't have. You can email them and have your year approved by them if you're still not sure. Almost always you will get credit for the whole intern year if you were at an ACGME program for that year with a traditional internship curriculum.

The ABR website lists requirements for what your intern year can or can't have. You can email them and have your year approved by them if you're still not sure. Almost always you will get credit for the whole intern year if you were at an ACGME program for that year with a traditional internship curriculum.

Thanks for the reply.

A follow-up question is the timing for when this is done. Do I send them this after I match, or do I do this thing immediately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it now and you can bring/attach the letter they give you that certifies your intern year so you can tell programs you interview at that your intern year will count.

Do it now and you can bring/attach the letter they give you that certifies your intern year so you can tell programs you interview at that your intern year will count.
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

I called the ABR and they told me that they can't verify any prior training until I am in a radiology program and thus "in their system". They suggested that I obtain a letter from my former PD to verify that I have done an internship, and to send this to each radiology program director during the application process. ERAS does not have a place where I can upload such documentation however. I am thus confused as to how to go forward with this. Any suggestions?

I called the ABR and they told me that they can't verify any prior training until I am in a radiology program and thus "in their system". They suggested that I obtain a letter from my former PD to verify that I have done an internship, and to send this to each radiology program director during the application process. ERAS does not have a place where I can upload such documentation however. I am thus confused as to how to go forward with this. Any suggestions?

I'm in your boat and not sure why you would need to send such a letter to PDs during the application process. If you're like me, then you're applying primarily to advanced positions. With these programs, I believe the expectation is that you secure a prelim year and meet the necessary requirements prior to entering the program (i.e. pass Step 3, eligible for licensing, etc.).

I did a gen surg year, so I'm almost positive this will suffice for an "internship." I obtained a letter from my prior program stating I had completed 12 months of training. I'm sure this letter will need to be verified in the future by whichever rads program I attend, but I'm not sure why any of this would need to be discussed during the application process. Unless you did some type of unconventional year, which is sounds like is not the case. Check the requirements and make sure you meet all the criteria, obtain a letter from your prior program, and you should be good.