Matching trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harisjameel

Reaction score
Has anyone with a single attempt on their USMLEs matched into Pathology?? Does Pathology overlook a single failure if other steps are completed on the first attempt including Step 3?

Members don't see this ad.

If you failed a step you may possibly still match somewhere. You may have to apply to a lot of programs though as an IMG. Really depends on your application and if you have good Pathology clinical experience or not in my opinion. If all you’ve done is lecture and teach it may be harder to match than if you were a pathologist in your country or have hospital based Path related experience during medical school.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Any failure needs to be explained in PS and explained well. If you are a FMG pathologist who took a step 2 CS a month after stepping onto US soil thinking it is the easiest step to take and 2 years later after having pathology related experience in US and improving language skills re took it and fully admit your foolishness, than some programs may consider you. But if you have a failure and do not address it in PS.... sorry...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any failure needs to be explained in PS and explained well. If you are a FMG pathologist who took a step 2 CS a month after stepping onto US soil thinking it is the easiest step to take and 2 years later after having pathology related experience in US and improving language skills re took it and fully admit your foolishness, than some programs may consider you. But if you have a failure and do not address it in PS.... sorry...
Well, I am sure a single failure on USMLEs doesn't necessarily translate into one being a bad doctor or a pathologist. Anything can go wrong on the exam day. There are US MDs with multiple failures, and yet they are attendings now. I am sure those failures are not a reflection of their medical knowledge or clinical practice :).

Well, I am sure a single failure on USMLEs doesn't necessarily translate into one being a bad doctor or a pathologist. Anything can go wrong on the exam day. There are US MDs with multiple failures, and yet they are attendings now. I am sure those failures are not a reflection of their medical knowledge or clinical practice :).
"Anything can go wrong on exam day" - is an example of poor explanation. The proper way to address it would be: Due to the difference in clinical approach between my country and the US, I have answered several questions incorrectly. I have performed thorough analysis of my mistakes, consulted with others, took an extra tutoring classes and identified the areas of educational concern. All of this resulted in much better exam scores on the second attempt. The lessons I learned from this experience were further applied in preparations for Step 3, which was passed on the first attempt.

Something along these lines...

Reactions: 2 users
^^^^^ OP, listen to this guy very, very carefully.

Reactions: 1 user