Maternal Fetal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorE2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do perinatologists do any surgery other than C-sections? How involved is the genetics/ counseling aspect of MFM?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to vary greatly by institution. At mine, for example, they don't even do c-sections. They don't do any deliveries actually; it is purely a consultation service and the patients are referred back to their general ob for delivery. The only operative procedures I've seen them do are cerclages. They do, however, do many office procedures: amnio, CVS, and multiple pregnancy fetal reductions. And they do extensive genetic counselling. And scanning. Lots and lots of scanning.

In talking with one of our MFM docs, it seems like perinatologists run the gamut from being general obstetricians with an emphasis on high risk, to scan jockeys who only do ultrasounds, and everything in between.

i have seen MFM's place a bladder shunt in a 20 week fetus with bladder obstruction. it was very cool.

I was just checking out the USF website... Looks like their fetal surgeons are OB/GYNs with MFM training.