maternal-fetal medicine and fetal surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sd2021

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok I'm confused I am intrested in becoming some type of doctor pertaining to fetal medicine. However i know that Maternal-fetal physicans only do fetal intervention not fetal surgery and i want to be surgical. I am also intesrted in fetal surgery but i also want the be involved in treating high risk pregnancy as a maternal fetal physicans do.I am aware that MFM is OB/GYN and fetal surgery is pediatric surgery. I was serching if it was possible to maybe be borded in both some how. I came a across a bunch of doctors who did. So i am wondering if anyone knows how this is achiveable. I found a program that trains MFM an aditional two years in fetal surgery ... is this the path the doctors who specialize in both take? Also i found a doctor who was both a maternal-fetal physican and a neonatal surgon how is that possible? is there some type of program im unaware of or did they do training in OB/GYN for MFM and pediatric surgery as well?