1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Math classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gasdf1234567, May 29, 2008.

1. gasdf1234567

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I tested out of Calculus I through AP credits from high school. I haven't taken any other math classes except for a statistics course through the economics department. Will this be enough for med schools? Also, do any med schools require Calculus II?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i have heard some do, I dont know of any off the top of my head. As long as the AP class shows up on your college transcript as CALC I you should be fine.

4. sully677

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    A stats class is always good.

5. [pj]

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Differs from school to school. If I remember, some schools "prefer" that certain pre-reqs be done at a 4-year school (Boston University).

6. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    16 med schools require calc, Harvard and WashU require one year of it. WashU also does not accept AP credit for math, nor do some of the Texas schools and University of Nebraska. (There's about 90 schools that do not accept AP credit for math, but the ones I named are schools that also require calc) This info is current as of 2007, so it does not include any of the new med schools.

7. anomalous738232

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have the same problem. i got AP credit in high-school, took 1 qtr of calc II, dropped it mid-way through (didn't think i needed it), and turns out a lot of med schools dont take AP credit. now i'm doomed to take calc II sometime next year. i haven't taken calc since.... 3.5 years ago? i'm f*cked. i'm banking on taking it the last qtr of my senior year-- by that time, hopefully i'll be accepted so it won't be AS big of a deal... i don't understand WHY. i mean, i took physics and stats-- isn't that enough to prove that i'm not totally mathematically-challenged?! whyyyy!! i hate calculus.

8. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :eek: Blasphemy!

9. nevercold

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If the OP took one semester of Calc II I bet that would be fine. Even if Harvard and WashU require a year of calculus, they can't give you credit for University level Calc II and pretend you didn't learn Calc I.