math degree for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCATSc0re

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to pharmacy school after I do the two year requirements, and if I don't get in, which I expect not to, finish a degree, and try again. Right now, my options are between Applied Math and Biochemistry. Due to much better job options, I'm leaning more toward AM. However, would Biochem look better to pharm school? Or do they just really only care about the prerequisites. If possible, I do plan to take a few upper division Chem classes, such as Biochem I, on the side.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, if you're planning to go into pharmacy, you should go for biochemistry. Although a science degree is not a requirement, it will definitely help the strength of your application.

If you are worried about job options, I would just stick with applied math and start your career from there. Career prospects are probably much better than in pharmacy (very saturated) and does not require you to take out an additional $200k+ loans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are worried about job options, I would just stick with applied math and start your career from there. Career prospects are probably much better than in pharmacy (very saturated) and does not require you to take out an additional $200k+ loans.

At this point, from everything I've read, I think pursuing a math degree, and then getting a masters, is a much more favorable use of 6 years instead of Pharmacy :/

Reactions: 1 user
Try to get experience or at least talk to people who are in the industry that you would like to get into. If you're planning to work for the next 30 years, it's worth it. I worked as a pharmacy technician for 2 years in a hospital and retail so I am well exposed to the field. Hope this helps!

If you are going to get a math degree, I highly recommend NOT using it as a means to get into pharmacy school. Medical school, a masters in applied math/ software engineering are much better ways to spend your time. Provided your GPA is B+/A- or higher, you'll be fine! :)

Actuarial scientists/financial engineers and heck, even elementary mathematics teachers are much better choices than a career in pharmacy. Sure, these jobs might be competitive to obtain, but once you get your feet wet, earnings potential is way through the roof for the former, while the latter category provides good job security as teachers are protected by unions. On the flip side, pharmacist's salaries will peak very early and there is nothing that comes close to job security in this field, unless you're the lucky few (very few) that gets something in government. Plus, taking out $100K+ in loans is scary, especially when you factor in interest rates.

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely recommend you speaking with actual pharmacists and people who have your best interest at heart.

if your final goal is to get accepted to pharmacy school, then biochemistry is way better option for you although schools do not require any particular degree.