Math help plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazeez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone please explain

1. how they figured out what the neutrophils number was high?
  2. does neutorophils mean segs + bands or just segs? also
  3. what values are they using, like is the segs range 2,500-6,000 or ...?
Thank you

PS. I know that people will say to just calculate the ANC but the next question immediately asks me what is the ANC, so this makes me think that we were not supposed to figure this out from the ANC and that we are supposed to use another value like the segs or the band range
Upload and share screenshots and images - print screen online | Snipboard.io

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem

Solution

Members don't see this ad.

When calculating the ANC, you always multiply WBC count (total cells/mm^3) by the percentage of neutrophils which includes segs + bands. Once you've accomplished that, then you divide by 100. Sometimes neutrophils can be labeled as polymorphonuclear cells (PMNs) or simply "polys."

Memorize the formula: ANC (cells/mm^3) = WBC x [(% segs + % bands)/100]

So to answer your questions:
1. how they figured out what the neutrophils number was high?

By using the ANC formula. Unless told otherwise, an ANC range is normal between 2200 - 8000. Anything < 1000 has a risk of neutropenia, with < 500 being a more severe risk.

2. does neutorophils mean segs + bands or just segs?

Neutrophils = segs + bands

3. what values are they using, like is the segs range 2,500-6,000 or ...?

- WBC ranges are typically ~ 4.5 to 11.3/mm3
- ANC range is listed in #1.
- Bands are ~ 0 to 5% and segs ~ 50 to 70%. I encourage you to look up the difference between segs and bands to help paint a bigger picture.

With that, no one really memorizes normal ranges of segs +/- bands. Rather, these variables are a stepping stone in finding out the real likelihood/severity of infection(s) that deal directly with ANC and WBCs (just plug in the numbers and see the final results).

If you are required to know ANC, then the case must provide all other variables (WBCs, % segs + % bands). Simply solve for the unknown and determine if the final range signifies bacterial or viral infection (increased WBC vs decreased WBC).

- Hope that helps