UW09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Seattle
Status
Pre-Dental
What kind of math questions are in the DAT? I'm taking calculus next quarter and was wondering what I should concentrate on and make sure I still can do by the time I take the DAT...which is in like 4 yrs.

OP
U

UW09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Seattle
Status
Pre-Dental
What are the problems like? Are they applications (word problems) or equations and stuff.

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
JohnDoeDDS said:
also is a calculator allowed?
no, you can't use a calculator. You won't even need a calculator once you see the questions.

zackyfarms

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
anyone know of any good sources to practice math probs? The ones on the DAT dont seem hard, its just a matter of time for me, I simply cant do them fast enough. All my other sections are cool though...

so yea, anyone?

thanks in advance

joobs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
remember the SAT? thats what the math is like.

zackyfarms

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
Yea ive taken a few practice tests by kaplan and what not, but I was wondering as to what materials can be used to good practice. Ive heard everything from GMAT, to SATs...

does anyone have any specific sources/books? im good when it comes to sciecne and pat, but the math thing is kinda hurting. I can do most of the problems but just not in the time allowed, im slow with them so i figure i need practice, hence im looking for some suggestions, heh. thanks guys!

sundar

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Status
zackyfarms said:
Yea ive taken a few practice tests by kaplan and what not, but I was wondering as to what materials can be used to good practice. Ive heard everything from GMAT, to SATs...

does anyone have any specific sources/books? im good when it comes to sciecne and pat, but the math thing is kinda hurting. I can do most of the problems but just not in the time allowed, im slow with them so i figure i need practice, hence im looking for some suggestions, heh. thanks guys!
hi,
try to work out problems found in gre math. that is good practice I think. And there are tons of gre books in the public libraraies.

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
zackyfarms said:
anyone know of any good sources to practice math probs? The ones on the DAT dont seem hard, its just a matter of time for me, I simply cant do them fast enough. All my other sections are cool though...

so yea, anyone?

thanks in advance

kaplan subject tests that I have helped me.

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dentist
the DAT math seemed a lot easier than SAT math-- simple algebra, geometry, trig. no complex calculations, no calculator needed, no problem. i only studied the Kaplan book and studied a few Kaplan math subject tests and did fine (and i am no math wiz).

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Birmingham/Auburn, AL
Status
Pre-Dental
superman said:
the DAT math seemed a lot easier than SAT math-- simple algebra, geometry, trig. no complex calculations, no calculator needed, no problem. i only studied the Kaplan book and studied a few Kaplan math subject tests and did fine (and i am no math wiz).

[keep in mind, i've only taken practice DAT's]

i think the math is very easy. i score between a 25 and 27 every time i take it... and that's just because of 1 or 2 careless mistakes.

rescuer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
Status
The following guides should be helpful since they all have complete explanantions to the QRT problems you are concerned with:

TopScore, Kaplan, DAT Achiever, DAT Professor

hope_faith

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Status
zackyfarms said:

I know what you mean. When I took the DATs last year, it was like 40 questions in 45 mins! And I was always so slow in the online kaplan math practice test that I did. So in an effort to actually do well, I figured that I'm so much better at algebra than word problems. So what I did was everytime I saw a word problem, I'd randomly choose an answer, bookmark it, and move on and repeat the same thing if it's a word problem, until I got to an algebra one. after I went through the 40 questions, I went back to the bookmarked questions and did my best to answer as many of those as possible. I figured I was more likely to get the algebra problems done right and in a shorter amount of time than solving word problems. That's just my take on it. Good luck.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
sundar said:
hi,
try to work out problems found in gre math. that is good practice I think. And there are tons of gre books in the public libraraies.
Can anybody reccommend any good GRE Math Review Books to use for DAT math??

Richnator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
hope_faith said:
I know what you mean. When I took the DATs last year, it was like 40 questions in 45 mins! And I was always so slow in the online kaplan math practice test that I did. So in an effort to actually do well, I figured that I'm so much better at algebra than word problems. So what I did was everytime I saw a word problem, I'd randomly choose an answer, bookmark it, and move on and repeat the same thing if it's a word problem, until I got to an algebra one. after I went through the 40 questions, I went back to the bookmarked questions and did my best to answer as many of those as possible. I figured I was more likely to get the algebra problems done right and in a shorter amount of time than solving word problems. That's just my take on it. Good luck.
Very good advice. That is the same thing I did. I read it fast, and if it sounded hard, I would put a random answer and mark. Saves you so much more time.

howui3

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
CA
Status
The best way for you to understand the level of math is by going to you LOCAL BOOK STORE! Once there, look at any of the DAT study guides, Kaplan or Barrons and look through the QR section.

Good luck.

dentalman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
I have found that the average DAT test taker does not even FINISH the math section. So, the average student randomly answers the last however many questions, and gets a 17 (the supposed average). So, the advice given previously of skipping questions that will take a long time for you will help by letting YOU choose which questions you want to spend time on. What if the last 7 questions are easy for you but you don't have time to get to them because you spent all your time on really difficult questions? To get a top score, you need to learn how to make the difficult questions simple. This is done by learning the right equation (rate problems), translating quickly (word problems), or finding special triangles quickly (any problem), and simply being a fast math problem solver. To score above average, you simply need to FINISH.