Math knowledge required for chemistry and physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandon1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just took chem and physics this year after not taking any math since high school except summer calc so what you'll need to know is pretty fresh in my memory. :D

You need to be pretty comfortable with algebra for an algebra-based physics course. There's a little algebra involved with chem but not much. Just know how to write numbers in scientific notation, how to solve for variables in equations, know the unit circle (degrees, radians), know the trig functions (sin, cos, tan, arcsin, arccos, arctan), know the law of sines and law of cosines (that triangle-related stuff in geometry and trig is important since you'll have to know how the sides and angles relate to find distances and directions in physics), know how to use log, ln, and exponential functions, and how to solve for an unknown via the substitution method using equations. That's it, I think. :) I picked it up as we learned in Physics I but really struggled with the hw and understanding what the heck the prof was doing in class without having those basics down first. Thankfully I was able to Google everything and catch up but you'll be in a much better place if you do some practice problems beforehand.

Last edited:
most chem and physics that i've seen have a college algebra (or higher) prereq. my school you could be concurrently enrolled, but you had to take it or have had it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need very much math knowledge for chemistry. Part of the first semester is getting used to scientific notation, but if you can use a calculator it shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming you are taking trig based physics, the hardest math is algebra. The trig can get confusing, but you get used to it by the time you finish vectors and kinematics. Again, having a calculator wil make it much easier.

You don't need very much math knowledge for chemistry. Part of the first semester is getting used to scientific notation, but if you can use a calculator it shouldn't be a problem.

This is true for Chemistry 1. But chemistry 2 was all math. So it's a good idea to be solid on algebra and trig. If you are good there, then you are golden. If not, then I would take the necessary math before delving into these subjects. You will end up saving yourself tons of grief.

Here's the specific math necessary: You will need to know how to use logarithms, natural logarithms, sine, cosine, tangent, and the quadratic equation. You will need to be comfortable working with numbers in exponential notation. You will need to know how to read a word problem and plug the numbers from the problem into the relevant formula.

If you've already learned these concepts and have since forgotten them, you can probably re-learn them as you go. I took trig back in 2001 and forgot all of it until I took general chem last summer. Logarithms came as a very rude surprise, but I was able to re-learn everything quickly enough to do well in the class. If you haven't learned them, check the course requirements to make sure that there isn't a math requirement you will need to take first. If there is no requirement and you're able to learn independently, you can probably learn the required math in a week or two from library books or MIT's free online courses.

I re-learned algebra by studying the problems in the textbook for Chem I & II and got As in both classes. I'm taking physics I this summer (10 week course) and I'm confident I'll relearn all that trig stuff as I study the problems.

Here's the specific math necessary: You will need to know how to use logarithms, natural logarithms, sine, cosine, tangent, and the quadratic equation. You will need to be comfortable working with numbers in exponential notation. You will need to know how to read a word problem and plug the numbers from the problem into the relevant formula..

If you're going to become a doctor, you had better know how to do all those. They are even MORE important for the MCAT than in med school.

I think I learned them in high school (and then un-learned them, but refreshing would take a few hours at most).

I purchased and worked through most chapters of the following book because it was recommended by my post-bacc at the time: http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Mathematics-Applications-Technology/dp/0070371326

I supplemented this with khanacademy.org and http://www.themathpage.com/. Though there are tons of sites out there.

For chemistry, it's mostly pre-algebra with a little algebra thrown in (logs, natural logs, quadratic equation). In physics you must be able to manipulate equations well, and make appropriate substitutions (this kind of thing: I = V/R, and P = IV, so P = (V^2/R)). You'll also need to be familiar with the very basics of trig, namely sine, cosine, and tangent, and the Pythagorean Theorem.

Math does not like me so I feel your pain on this one.

My personal suggestion would be college level algebra/trig. Most likely they will have you take a placement exam in math and you will need some type of math prereq before you can do them anyways although not all schools are like this.

Take a look at this, http://www.free-clep-prep.com/Fundamentals-of-College-Algebra-DSST.html . I happened to have this bookmarked cause I used it to study for a test awhile ago. It is for passing a DSST exam called "fundamentals of college algebra". Learn the stuff mentioned on that link.