Math on Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone know what kind of math problems will be on the Naplex.
Will we be required to know valences, what the number ions the compound dissociates into and such.

Also I heard that the SDN 120 was over kill. Will I be ok if I just study the Rxprep questions for math

Members don't see this ad.

Back when I prepared for Naplex, I only read the math review section of the ASHP PharmPrep book and did the practice questions. I remember that year, my classmates either hated the math, or loved it; depending on their baseline comfort with the subject (no one seemed to have spend a tremendous time studying for math and we had a 100% pass rate).

I don't recall having to know dissociation of ions, but there were quite a bit of compounding questions (%V/V, %W/V, etc). Know basic conversion/factors/formulas.

I also used RxPrep several years later when I was transferring my license. If I recall correctly, the math coverage on these two study guides was similar (though there were less math and less complicated math on CPJE than NAPLEX, in my experience).

Have you tried searching these forums for "NAPLEX Math"? You may find something useful.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Study the problems in rxprep. It's all U'll need. Trick is setting up the problems to what they want and just arrange so U'll come out w the answer. Don't stress too much over it. Go through the problem set like twice and u r ready to kill the math portion.

I was wondering if anyone know what kind of math problems will be on the Naplex.
Will we be required to know valences, what the number ions the compound dissociates into and such.

Also I heard that the SDN 120 was over kill. Will I be ok if I just study the Rxprep questions for math

Hi, Are U studying for nabplex, am looking for a study partner for nabplex. I am a foreign graduate and live in houston. Would like to study via skype. if interested please reply.

I took the Naplex two days ago, and the only math prep I did was the problems in RxPrep. I did the entire set twice, and I think it's plenty enough. There were maybe 2-3 math questions on the Naplex that I didn't quite know how to tackle, but I think RxPrep does a thorough job in reviewing the overall concepts. Hope this helps, and good luck!