Math question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaquita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to know how much Math is there actually in Pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

quite a bit in my school

we had a considerable amount of calc in kinetics and then just basic pharmacy math throughout the entire curriculum

Members don't see this ad :)
There is math. Lots of logarithms and huge algebraic equations. If you're good at algebra and calculus, you'll do fine. There are some deriviatives, but you won't do any integration.

How much math is there compared to majoring in engineering?

Would engineering be a good undergrad major for pharmacy?

Engineering has a whole lot more math than pharmacy. In my opinion, mathematically speaking, engineering is overkill for pharmacy. You have to take differential equations for engineering, and most pharmacy schools only require calculus I and statistics.

Only calculus 1 and stats? Pharmacy school sounds pretty easy.

Which would be harder, a degree in engineering or a degree in pharmacy?

Depends on what kind of person you are. Some people think pharmacy is hard, some people think engineering is hard. I think they're both similar in difficulty, but pharmacists on average make more money than engineers. ;)

goheel said:
Depends on what kind of person you are. Some people think pharmacy is hard, some people think engineering is hard. I think they're both similar in difficulty, but pharmacists on average make more money than engineers. ;)

Thats really not fair. Engineering is harder but make less money than pharmacist.

And what aspects of pharmacy is actually hard?

I think it's pretty fair that pharmacist makes more money than engineer does. Think about it. The pharmacist has to finish pharmacy school and undergrad (6 or 8 years) in order to make 80k but an engineer can make 50~60k after he/she finishes undergrad (4years). In addition, the tuition fee for the pharmacy school is much much higher!! Most of the people need loan to survive during school and need to pay back afterward. So.. in my opinion, it's fair. ;)

Engineering is very difficult, but only a handful of people are good at it. The rest are usually able to get by with average grades. The reason engineers get paid less than pharmacists is not because they are less smart, but it's a supply and demand issue. Engineers are a dime a dozen, and the more of us there are the less that we're going to get paid. I think companies throw a bone(50K) because the job is so darn demanding sometimes. As far as difficulty, I think that engineering is sufficiently harder than pharmacy. It's much more theoretical, and the concepts are very difficult to grasp and understand. The main reason I'm switching over to the pharmacy field is job security. I also love working with people and I love being the technical expert when it comes to something. A pharmacist is no different. Oh yeah, the money is 2X what I'll make as an engineer.

mahishrimp said:
I think it's pretty fair that pharmacist makes more money than engineer does. Think about it. The pharmacist has to finish pharmacy school and undergrad (6 or 8 years) in order to make 80k but an engineer can make 50~60k after he/she finishes undergrad (4years). In addition, the tuition fee for the pharmacy school is much much higher!! Most of the people need loan to survive during school and need to pay back afterward. So.. in my opinion, it's fair. ;)

I think I did not write it clearly in my last message. I am not saying that engineer is easier or harder than pharmacy. The difficulty is very subjective. For me, engineer class is super hard. However, one of my friends is very good in enginner but he sucks in biology. He really studied for it, but he just cannot get it. Like you said, the demand of pharmacist is very high right now, so the pay is excellent. I do agree with you.
I wish I could take back a statement that I made in my last message. "Pharmacist make more money than engineer." I just realize that I put it in a bizarre way. What I mean is …. I think it is fair for a pharmacist to make 80~90k because they have spent more time at school and tuition fee is very high. Imagine if a pharmacist can only make 50K a year, how many people are willing to invest >120K in pharmacy school?

blueclassring said:
Engineering is very difficult, but only a handful of people are good at it. The rest are usually able to get by with average grades. The reason engineers get paid less than pharmacists is not because they are less smart, but it's a supply and demand issue. Engineers are a dime a dozen, and the more of us there are the less that we're going to get paid. I think companies throw a bone(50K) because the job is so darn demanding sometimes. As far as difficulty, I think that engineering is sufficiently harder than pharmacy. It's much more theoretical, and the concepts are very difficult to grasp and understand. The main reason I'm switching over to the pharmacy field is job security. I also love working with people and I love being the technical expert when it comes to something. A pharmacist is no different. Oh yeah, the money is 2X what I'll make as an engineer.

Yeah a pharmacist makes twice as much as an engineer might make starting out but I think there is more potential being an engineer because a pharmacist's salary will max out where it started.

Isn't pharmacy basically more memorization while engineering is more problem solving?

And is the demand for pharmacist going to increase or decrease in the future?