math question??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the equation of a line passing through the origin while being parallel to 5x + 2y = -7?

A. 2x – 5y = 0
B. 2x – 5y = 7
C. 2x + 5y = 0
D. 5x – 2y = -7
E. 5x + 2y = 0

Can somebody help me out with this? break it down like im in 5th grade.,

Members don't see this ad.

Set up both equations so that they are in the same general format of y=mx+b where m = slope.

The 2 equations that have the same slope will be parallel.
ex. y = -5/2x - 7/2

An equation of a line that passes through the origin will have a b value of 0, thus the answer is E.

chordata said:
Set up both equations so that they are in the same general format of y=mx+b where m = slope.

The 2 equations that have the same slope will be parallel.
ex. y = -5/2x - 7/2

An equation of a line that passes through the origin will have a b value of 0, thus the answer is E.

thanks..i really suck at math.. can u help me with trig

tan xo = tan (90 – x)o when

A. x = 0
B. x = -30
C. x = -45
D. x = -60
E. x = -90

Members don't see this ad :)
Denro said:
thanks..i really suck at math.. can u help me with trig

tan xo = tan (90 – x)o when

A. x = 0
B. x = -30
C. x = -45
D. x = -60
E. x = -90

The answer is C. Tangent is positive on quadrant 1 and 3, and negative on quadrant 2 and 4. Therefore, the answer must be on quadrant 2 and 4, since all the answer choices is negative.

For tan, all you have to know is that tan 0= 0, tan 45 = 1, and tan 90= infinity. Therefore, Tan -45 = -1, and tan 135 = -1. The answer is C.

E. coli said:
The answer is C. Tangent is positive on quadrant 1 and 3, and negative on quadrant 2 and 4. Therefore, the answer must be on quadrant 2 and 4, since all the answer choices is negative.

For tan, all you have to know is that tan 0= 0, tan 45 = 1, and tan 90= infinity. Therefore, Tan -45 = -1, and tan 135 = -1. The answer is C.

what's 0 that he put for each sides? i know tan x but what's tan xo?

E. coli said:

what's 0 that he put for each sides? i know tan x but what's tan xo?