Math Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swellguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its simple, but this is melting my face... What is the probability of getting at most one head in three coin tosses? I used the equation nCk (P^k)(q^n-k) --- I keep getting 7/8 but this book says the answer is 1/2, what am I screwing up?

Members don't see this ad.

These are the possible outcomes:

HHT
HTH
HHH
TTT
THH
HTT
THT
TTH

4/8 or 1/2 of those outcomes have zero or one head.

I know its simple, but this is melting my face... What is the probability of getting at most one head in three coin tosses? I used the equation nCk (P^k)(q^n-k) --- I keep getting 7/8 but this book says the answer is 1/2, what am I screwing up?
I dont think you should sit there and count the pr. at most = 1 head and 0 head.
BLesso4.gif

n
= number of trials
r = number of specific events you wish to
obtain
p = probability that the event will occur
q = probability that the event will not occur
(q = 1 - p, the complement of the event

Use this formular to cal pr of 1 and 0 then plus them together. In this case you can cal at least, at most with any number...

Members don't see this ad :)
getting at most 1 head, most is the key word, so there are only 3 possibilities

t1234's explanation is wrong. There are 4, not 3 possibilities. You could get zero heads, or a head on the first, second, or third throw.

4 possibilities not 3. Just see my explanation above.

is there anyy way of actually calculating the answer instead of sitting there writing out all the possibilities?

Hopefully those combinations would be intuitive and you could answer that question very quickly without any numerical computation. I only wrote them out for the benefit of those who don't "see it".

First calculate the probability of gettng 0 heads which is 1/8 then add it to the probability of getting 1 head which is 3c1*.5^1*.5^2 which equals 3/8. (--->the success failure formula). Add the two together o get 4/8. Its very simple.

First calculate the probability of gettng 0 heads which is 1/8 then add it to the probability of getting 1 head which is 3c1*.5^1*.5^2 which equals 3/8. (--->the success failure formula). Add the two together o get 4/8. Its very simple.
Klutzy, I get that from the formula. I was wondering what the answer is if it asked "at most 2" instead of "at most 1".

Klutzy, I get that from the formula. I was wondering what the answer is if it asked "at most 2" instead of "at most 1".

So then calculate the proability of getting 3 and then subtract it from 1. Therefore you would do 1/2*1/2*1/2=1/8 Now 1-(1/8)=(7/8). The answer is therefore 7/8.