Math/Statistics Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What math and statistics courses should one take to be able to fulfill the requirements for any medical school? I have taken a term of calculus and plan on taking a term of statistics. Would that be sufficient? Also, my school offers about 10 different variations of intro stats in various departments. I am interested in epidemiology and public health, so what type of statistics course would be most helpful for this (i.e. in what department). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search on SDN, these questions have been asked a few times recently.

Originally posted by katiep:
•Do a search on SDN, these questions have been asked a few times recently.•••

Yup, I did that right before I posted this. Just looking for some more input...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Skye,

Calculus is not required, you can often fulfill the math requirement with, say, a semester of stats and a semester of computer science. However, I do know that some schools require calculus. . . Mt. Sinai is one that jumps to mind. Take a look at the schools to which you'd like to apply; if you don't have a copy of the MSAR, you can actually just go to their websites and find a list of their requirements.

A few top tier schools also claim that they require 2 semesters of Calc. I know people who have gotten around that, but they were outstanding applicants. Just look it up for a bunch of different schools.

i would recommend taking a stats class in either the math department or a psych department.

but like others have said before, some med schools do require TWO semesters of calc.
and some schools like UCLA require stats, specifically.

so i would cover all my bases...