1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Math/Statistics Requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Skye04, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What math and statistics courses should one take to be able to fulfill the requirements for any medical school? I have taken a term of calculus and plan on taking a term of statistics. Would that be sufficient? Also, my school offers about 10 different variations of intro stats in various departments. I am interested in epidemiology and public health, so what type of statistics course would be most helpful for this (i.e. in what department). Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. katiep

katiep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do a search on SDN, these questions have been asked a few times recently.

4. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

The MSAR lists the pre-requisites of each medical school in the USA.

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some med schools require some sort of calculus. But if you're interested in epidemiology, take a course named "Epidemiology" or "Population Biology" or "Biostatistics."

7. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Skye,

Calculus is not required, you can often fulfill the math requirement with, say, a semester of stats and a semester of computer science. However, I do know that some schools require calculus. . . Mt. Sinai is one that jumps to mind. Take a look at the schools to which you'd like to apply; if you don't have a copy of the MSAR, you can actually just go to their websites and find a list of their requirements.

8. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A few top tier schools also claim that they require 2 semesters of Calc. I know people who have gotten around that, but they were outstanding applicants. Just look it up for a bunch of different schools.

9. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would recommend taking a stats class in either the math department or a psych department.

but like others have said before, some med schools do require TWO semesters of calc.
    and some schools like UCLA require stats, specifically.

so i would cover all my bases...