SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Math/Statistics Requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Skye04, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2001
    USofA
    What math and statistics courses should one take to be able to fulfill the requirements for any medical school? I have taken a term of calculus and plan on taking a term of statistics. Would that be sufficient? Also, my school offers about 10 different variations of intro stats in various departments. I am interested in epidemiology and public health, so what type of statistics course would be most helpful for this (i.e. in what department). Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. katiep

katiep Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Do a search on SDN, these questions have been asked a few times recently.

4. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2001
    USofA

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    The MSAR lists the pre-requisites of each medical school in the USA.

6. leorl

leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Some med schools require some sort of calculus. But if you're interested in epidemiology, take a course named "Epidemiology" or "Population Biology" or "Biostatistics."

7. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2001
    NY, NY
    Hi Skye,

Calculus is not required, you can often fulfill the math requirement with, say, a semester of stats and a semester of computer science. However, I do know that some schools require calculus. . . Mt. Sinai is one that jumps to mind. Take a look at the schools to which you'd like to apply; if you don't have a copy of the MSAR, you can actually just go to their websites and find a list of their requirements.

8. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2001
    private
    A few top tier schools also claim that they require 2 semesters of Calc. I know people who have gotten around that, but they were outstanding applicants. Just look it up for a bunch of different schools.

9. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    i would recommend taking a stats class in either the math department or a psych department.

but like others have said before, some med schools do require TWO semesters of calc.
    and some schools like UCLA require stats, specifically.

so i would cover all my bases...