Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Math/Statistics Requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Skye04, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member

What math and statistics courses should one take to be able to fulfill the requirements for any medical school? I have taken a term of calculus and plan on taking a term of statistics. Would that be sufficient? Also, my school offers about 10 different variations of intro stats in various departments. I am interested in epidemiology and public health, so what type of statistics course would be most helpful for this (i.e. in what department). Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. katiep

katiep Senior Member

Do a search on SDN, these questions have been asked a few times recently.

4. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

The MSAR lists the pre-requisites of each medical school in the USA.

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Some med schools require some sort of calculus. But if you're interested in epidemiology, take a course named "Epidemiology" or "Population Biology" or "Biostatistics."

7. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

Hi Skye,

Calculus is not required, you can often fulfill the math requirement with, say, a semester of stats and a semester of computer science. However, I do know that some schools require calculus. . . Mt. Sinai is one that jumps to mind. Take a look at the schools to which you'd like to apply; if you don't have a copy of the MSAR, you can actually just go to their websites and find a list of their requirements.

8. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member

A few top tier schools also claim that they require 2 semesters of Calc. I know people who have gotten around that, but they were outstanding applicants. Just look it up for a bunch of different schools.

9. vyc

vyc Senior Member

i would recommend taking a stats class in either the math department or a psych department.

but like others have said before, some med schools do require TWO semesters of calc.
    and some schools like UCLA require stats, specifically.

so i would cover all my bases...