mathematics and medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glia25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, back in my high school days (which were only 3 years ago), I took AP Calc BC and got a 5 sub 5 on the exam. I used this credit to move onto my college's physics classes (you need calc for them) and neglected to take the calc in college. I have taken a statistics course that is listed under Psych because i am a neuro major and needed to take Psychological Statistics. Next semester I will be taking mathematical models in biology, a course which is cross listed with mathematics and biology. I have been told numerous times by my med studies board that AP does not cut it!

I know that many medical schools do not even require math; but, I continue to be told otherwise by the med studies board. I would take higher level math, but it is not where my interests lie.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

calc 3 is usually pretty easy. double check with the schools you are interested in and see what they say.

So, back in my high school days (which were only 3 years ago), I took AP Calc BC and got a 5 sub 5 on the exam. I used this credit to move onto my college's physics classes (you need calc for them) and neglected to take the calc in college. I have taken a statistics course that is listed under Psych because i am a neuro major and needed to take Psychological Statistics. Next semester I will be taking mathematical models in biology, a course which is cross listed with mathematics and biology. I have been told numerous times by my med studies board that AP does not cut it!

I know that many medical schools do not even require math; but, I continue to be told otherwise by the med studies board. I would take higher level math, but it is not where my interests lie.

Any advice?

You can check out med school websites to see what they require, but from what I remember, math was never a big thing. I APed out of Calc I and II as well and didn't take any other math courses during college and it was never really a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have seen that many schools don't require it, i think it is my med studies board just trying to cover their bases...anybody else face a similar dilemma?

also, i do not have calc 3 at my school, we either move into multivariable or linear algebra and beyond

calc 3 is usually pretty easy. double check with the schools you are interested in and see what they say.

It was pretty easy... but I think you need to really make sure that you know the stuff from at least calc 1, otherwise you may have some trouble. So if the OP hasn't taken a math class in 3 years, it may be more difficult, unless of course, you still remember the basics from calcs 1 and 2.

But in my opinion, if you don't want to take any other math, you don't need to. Most schools don't care if you AP'ed out of math,

Any advice?

I was in a similar situation. 5 on AP Calc and never took it in college. Out of 25 schools I applied to last cycle, only Dartmouth openly objected. Maybe other schools cared, but they never told me.

Unfortunately for me, I had already graduated from undergrad and the fact that I had tested out of the math requirement was not reflected on my transcript. And I could not get it fixed, post-graduation (tho I could have had I known before I graduated.)

Wow, you guys are superstars. I never even took calc in high school (I know, I'm a weenie!).

Some med schools require 1 year of math, including calculus for a few of the schools. However, you HAVE taken calculus...it was just in high school. I think AP'ing out of biology isn't cool, but for calculus I personally wouldn't care if I was on an adcom. If some of the school(s) require one year of math, you need to make sure this 2nd class you are taking is going to count as math if you want to apply to those schools. If not, maybe you could just take a 2nd semester of statistics. More calc sounds hard...argh!

My best advice is check directly with several med schools (like 4 or 5). You probably have some idea where you'd like to apply (i.e. your state schools, and other favorite schools you're thinking of). You don't want to be stopped short later because you didn't take what they required. This other committee (? at your school) may not know what they are talking about.

also, i do not have calc 3 at my school, we either move into multivariable or linear algebra and beyond
Multivariable is calc 3. Both calc 3 and linear alg are pretty straight forward, so you shouldn't have any problem.