Matriculate at UCSF or Harvard? Any advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlalchick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to figure out if I should matriculate at UCSF or Harvard, and I was hoping you current med students might have some ideas that I have not yet considered! My family lives in the Bay Area, and I am entirely funding my medical school education (which will be entirely based on loans). However, after my visit to Harvard, I felt like I could really see myself there. Any suggestions/comments would be so helpful! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot advise you, but I weep for joy that I never faced your dilemma.

WOW... not b.c you got into both but b.c after all of that work you still can't make a decision on your own. COME ON... make a choice on your own, they don't baby you in medical school :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
go for the one which you'll be least in debt when you graduate.

sounds like you like Harvard more...go to Harvard!

Harvard is great! But gee, you will save a ton of $$$ at UCSF! I'm from the west coast, too. I don't mind being far from home, but everytime I have to fly across the country for the holidays I get annoyed at my travel situation. Which curriculum suits you better?

harvard, because so that people on the UCSF waitlist like me have a better chance of getting in. :p

UNC-or-BUST said:
WOW... not b.c you got into both but b.c after all of that work you still can't make a decision on your own. COME ON... make a choice on your own, they don't baby you in medical school :mad:

OP's not asking to be babied, she's asking for feedback from students who have more experience than she does. It's a perfectly reasonable and intelligent thing to do.

I feel like in the last few weeks after non-rolling decisions, there have been some really vicious reactions to certain threads/questions/posts. If these threads just replaced the names of schools like UCSF and Harvard with less emotionally-charged ones, and still kept the exact same content, I really don't think people would be as apt to flip.

This isn't to say that there aren't some really obnoxious and stupid posts out there that do deserve reactions like :mad: and :thumbdown: . But this ain't one of them.

When do Harvard decisions come out?

(Just kidding Risa :laugh: )

I would pick UCSF hands down. But that's because I'm me and I heart UCSF as much as I heart my mother. So I agree that it will be very personal. Head-wise, I would say UCSF sounds better for you. Heart-wise how does it feel? Sometimes I like to imagine myself accepting at a school and withdrawing from all others - and imagine how I will feel.

Good luck!

Risa said:
OP's not asking to be babied, she's asking for feedback from students who have more experience than she does. It's a perfectly reasonable and intelligent thing to do.

I feel like in the last few weeks after non-rolling decisions, there have been some really vicious reactions to certain threads/questions/posts. If these threads just replaced the names of schools like UCSF and Harvard with less emotionally-charged ones, and still kept the exact same content, I really don't think people would be as apt to flip.

This isn't to say that there aren't some really obnoxious and stupid posts out there that do deserve reactions like :mad: and :thumbdown: . But this ain't one of them.

hmm...for some reason I keep happening upon your posts ;)

I want to say, that if I don't actually meet you along the med school matriculation path, I am glad to see another helpful, honest, stick to your beliefs and help others whenever possible person

keep being the wonderful person that you are

I have no doubts that you are talented and intelligent, as well,
but I am guessing that this type of genuine human interest was a strong deciding factor for adcoms with respect to your interviews/application

I have read advice, support, comiseration, nervousness, celebration, and offers to save my life in your posts on SDN alone

drlalchick said:
I'm currently trying to figure out if I should matriculate at UCSF or Harvard, and I was hoping you current med students might have some ideas that I have not yet considered! My family lives in the Bay Area, and I am entirely funding my medical school education (which will be entirely based on loans). However, after my visit to Harvard, I felt like I could really see myself there. Any suggestions/comments would be so helpful! Thank you in advance!

I am guessing Harvard will be 70-80K more than UCSF if you loaned both out entirely. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to pass up UCSF. You will in no way be limited by choosing UCSF whatever you choose to do. Basic science years suck anywhere. Clinical years will be great either place. Considering that extra 70K will be unsubsidized it can be a lot of money in the end.

I chose a scholarship to my respectable but not elite state school instead of an elite school. I'm a 3rd year now with no regrets. With a state school like UCSF, its an even easier decision.

There's a line between being nice and being foolish.

alpenglow said:
hmm...for some reason I keep happening upon your posts ;)

I want to say, that if I don't actually meet you along the med school matriculation path, I am glad to see another helpful, honest, stick to your beliefs and help others whenever possible person

keep being the wonderful person that you are

I have no doubts that you are talented and intelligent, as well,
but I am guessing that this type of genuine human interest was a strong deciding factor for adcoms with respect to your interviews/application

I have read advice, support, comiseration, nervousness, celebration, and offers to save my life in your posts on SDN alone

Awwww alpenglow! You just made my night. I think this is the sweetest post ever.

I hope you wind up at the school of your dreams! (I also hope, of course, that that school happens to be Harvard ;) ...then I know I have at least one awesome friend-to-be in the bag)

Members don't see this ad :)
TracksuitsRock said:
When do Harvard decisions come out?

(Just kidding Risa :laugh: )

Haha, oh TracksuitsRock. I may drive you crazy every now and again... but you know you love me :D

TBforme said:
I am guessing Harvard will be 70-80K more than UCSF if you loaned both out entirely. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to pass up UCSF. You will in no way be limited by choosing UCSF whatever you choose to do. Basic science years suck anywhere. Clinical years will be great either place. Considering that extra 70K will be unsubsidized it can be a lot of money in the end.

I chose a scholarship to my respectable but not elite state school instead of an elite school. I'm a 3rd year now with no regrets. With a state school like UCSF, its an even easier decision.

hmm...maybe it's just cuz I'm poverty stricken (lol), but I think HMS might end up being LESS expensive for me that going to UCSF as an instate CA student...is this the case for anyone else?

also, remember that the loans that you get from HMS are all subsidized...that'll save you huge on interest!

apply for both finaid packages and see what you get - then maybe your struggle will be easier

honestly though, if you are not trying to start world reknowned grant programs for AIDS patients in Africa, or something along those lines, it's probably not wise to pay tons of extra $$ for either of these amazing schools.

really, this is one you'll have to make on your own
but, like me, I am sure that you are picking every brain you can find in hopes of coming to the "Eureka! I've decided!" moment.

(sending Eureka! thoughts your way...please send some back this way if you think of it ;) )

Risa said:
Haha, oh TracksuitsRock. I may drive you crazy every now and again... but you know you love me :D

HAHA. I DO! It's insane.

UCSF... better weather. :cool:

drlalchick said:

I think it all comes down to how important is your family support system to you? I am a few luck one that my family is in the Bay Area. To me it is quite important for their emtionally support from time to time. All my classmates are very happy and supportive here at UCSF.

I don't think money is the issue. You can make it back in no time. Both HMS and UCSF are world class schools. Both of them will open lots of doors for you. Good Luck.

MSIII

UCSF Bear said:
I think it all comes down to how important is your family support system to you? I am a few luck one that my family is in the Bay Area. To me it is quite important for their emtionally support from time to time. All my classmates are very happy and supportive here at UCSF.

I don't think money is the issue. You can make it back in no time. Both HMS and UCSF are world class schools. Both of them will open lots of doors for you. Good Luck.

MSIII

true, for many, $$ will not be the issue

for me, as someone who wants to work primarily in the area of health and human rights (i.e. with people who have no $$), it is a major concern

the more debt that I accrue, the longer it will be before I can focus solely on service to underserved, war-torn, and other disadvantaged communities

thanks for the insight, and all of the different perspectives

alpenglow,
First of all, Congrats. I think the fact that you are having so much trouble shows that both schools are roughly equal in your mind. Since Financial aid is important to you, why don't you just wait till you get the award letters. Compare them and let that be your tie breaker. Either way, you are going to get a top notch education.

I agree! Avoiding as much debt as possible is always wise and I'm sure both schools will provide for a fantastic medical education!

I would also consider where you want to eventually settle down, if you know. If you want to do residency and have a career in the bay area, then go to UCSF, no question. You'll have more time to network and maximize the connections you make. Also, consider that HMS is undergoing significant curriculum reform beginning with the 2006 incoming class. I don't know that I would be thrilled to be the first class through that before kinks are ironed it. While not as many lay people know of UCSF, its obviously a very top notch school and I would not turn it down because of the allure of the HMS name.

Regarding debt, HMS does have a loan forgiveness program for students that go on to have low-paying public service type types (I think anything less than $100,000/year that is public interest related). So, if that's your cup of tea, keep that in mind.

I would encourage you to attend second look at HMS if possible before making a final decision. Impressions can change once you know something is a real concrete possibility.

CarleneM said:
I would also consider where you want to eventually settle down, if you know. If you want to do residency and have a career in the bay area, then go to UCSF, no question. You'll have more time to network and maximize the connections you make. Also, consider that HMS is undergoing significant curriculum reform beginning with the 2006 incoming class. I don't know that I would be thrilled to be the first class through that before kinks are ironed it. While not as many lay people know of UCSF, its obviously a very top notch school and I would not turn it down because of the allure of the HMS name.

Regarding debt, HMS does have a loan forgiveness program for students that go on to have low-paying public service type types (I think anything less than $100,000/year that is public interest related). So, if that's your cup of tea, keep that in mind.

I would encourage you to attend second look at HMS if possible before making a final decision. Impressions can change once you know something is a real concrete possibility.

Thanks, CarleneM!

drlalchick said:
Try this: tell yourself you are going to withdraw from Hopkins and go to NYU. How do you feel? If you feel disappointed, maybe you are more interested in Hopkins than you think. If you feel happy or relieved, then maybe it's NYU. It sounds like your heart is at NYU. Considering you are going to be spending the next four (difficult) years of your life in med school, I'd make sure you go where your heart says. Med school will be hard at times, and it would be nice to know that at least you are in a place you love.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3473686&postcount=16

Now replace "hopkins" with "harvard," and "NYU" with "UCSF." Problem solved.

UCSF hands-down. no question. HMS is notorious for graduating clinically-clueless MD's. having family near school will be an added bonus.

drlalchick said:

drlalchick -

I'm going through a very similar dilemma, though I'm on UCSF's waitlist and debating whether or not to beg them to admit me. I suggest talking to as many current students at each school as you can, and see how that confirms and/or changes your brief impressions from your interview day.

Also, if you've been accepted to both, then chill for a few weeks, and wait until UCSF and Harvard's respective second looks, then try to judge for yourself. You've done the hard work and deserve to hang on to those acceptances for a few weeks while you decide. Congratulations, and don't let the negative posters get you down. You can rarely predict what the truly difficult decisions in your life will be - just give yourself space and time to decide what's best for you.

Mr.Bip said:
drlalchick -

I'm going through a very similar dilemma, though I'm on UCSF's waitlist and debating whether or not to beg them to admit me. I suggest talking to as many current students at each school as you can, and see how that confirms and/or changes your brief impressions from your interview day.

Also, if you've been accepted to both, then chill for a few weeks, and wait until UCSF and Harvard's respective second looks, then try to judge for yourself. You've done the hard work and deserve to hang on to those acceptances for a few weeks while you decide. Congratulations, and don't let the negative posters get you down. You can rarely predict what the truly difficult decisions in your life will be - just give yourself space and time to decide what's best for you.

Thank you Mr.Bip! I truly appreciate your advice! And good luck on your own medical school decision!

Harvard. Hands down. Everyone in the world has heard of Harvard, but only medical people in the US know how good UCSF is. Go to Harvard and anyone in the world will know what a badass you are. I'd go to HMS just to be able to drop the H-B0mb on girls. It's all about name-recognition. hmm, mebbe I'm obsessed with rep because my school's is on par with DeVry. :(

doc05 said:
UCSF hands-down. no question. HMS is notorious for graduating clinically-clueless MD's. having family near school will be an added bonus.

Ouch!!

IheartCaffeine said:
Harvard. Hands down. Everyone in the world has heard of Harvard, but only medical people in the US know how good UCSF is. Go to Harvard and anyone in the world will know what a badass you are. I'd go to HMS just to be able to drop the H-B0mb on girls. It's all about name-recognition. hmm, mebbe I'm obsessed with rep because my school's is on par with DeVry. :(

This is true to some extent. There is something about having that Harvard name on your medical resume that can really make a difference in your medical career.

If I were a true blue Californian though, I would go to UCSF.

skypilot said:
This is true to some extent. There is something about having that Harvard name on your medical resume that can really make a difference in your medical career.

If I were a true blue Californian though, I would go to UCSF.

Mr. Bip - you are another of the proven, tried-and-true, good folks posting here. This comment stems from you (someone on a high-priority/waitlist) telling multiple accepted students to hold their spots until they can make a wise decision. Thank you.

In response to the "true blue Californian" comment - I did not find CA to be my true home until ~5-6 years ago. I am torn up to consider leaving, but then think about how much I'll appreciate it when I return (if I go to a school outside CA). If you've already had this distancing time, I cannot imagine the weight of your decision. My thoughts, if I leave, are to try to return for residency and/or do a few away rotations in CA. Still painful to think about, though...

alpenglow said:
Mr. Bip - you are another of the proven, tried-and-true, good folks posting here. This comment stems from you (someone on a high-priority/waitlist) telling multiple accepted students to hold their spots until they can make a wise decision. Thank you.

In response to the "true blue Californian" comment - I did not find CA to be my true home until ~5-6 years ago. I am torn up to consider leaving, but then think about how much I'll appreciate it when I return (if I go to a school outside CA). If you've already had this distancing time, I cannot imagine the weight of your decision. My thoughts, if I leave, are to try to return for residency and/or do a few away rotations in CA. Still painful to think about, though...

I've been thinking along the same lines, too. California has always been my home, but I've never lived anywhere else and thus I definitely take things (like the weather!) for granted. If I do want to end up settling in California, then maybe med school is my opportunity to live away for a while. My only concern (and I don't know if it's true or not) is that it seems like there are more California med students who end up scoring California residencies.

drlalchick said:
I've been thinking along the same lines, too. California has always been my home, but I've never lived anywhere else and thus I definitely take things (like the weather!) for granted. If I do want to end up settling in California, then maybe med school is my opportunity to live away for a while. My only concern (and I don't know if it's true or not) is that it seems like there are more California med students who end up scoring California residencies.

I don't speak from excessive knowledge here, but the match list for HMS, for instance, is amazing! I think it depends on which school you go to, how well you do there, and what the faculty thinks of you (this I did get from those in the know). Remember, many of the CA schools are top-notch, or at least very highly ranked. There are only a few big-name schools elsewhere in the country that are up there with those in CA. There are also a lot of CA schools...so, I don't think that it is disproportionate or that we'd decrease our chances by going to a fabulous school elsewhere - especially not with the CA background, connections, etc. If you keep CA residency status, it will also make a difference. Anywho, that's just my 2-cents :)

IheartCaffeine said:

Alert me when the rest of the world decides where I do residency and fellowship. And when they score my NIH grants.

drlalchick said:

I'm going to start the "I want to be drlalchick" thread:)

Anyways grats on your accomplishments. If I had the choice, I'd pick the school where I knew that I would become a better physician. Good luck:)

DrVanNostran said:
I'm going to start the "I want to be drlalchick" thread:)

Anyways grats on your accomplishments. If I had the choice, I'd pick the school where I knew that I would become a better physician. Good luck:)

Aww your comment totally made my day! Thank you so much!

drlalchick said:
Aww your comment totally made my day! Thank you so much!

No problem:) I think If I responded two years ago Id have a completely different response. But after a few years of trying to get in and learning about the health care system as an MPH student, I really think that all the decisions we make in life are extremely critical, especially if one was to have the choice of where to go to medical school.

As as UCSF or Harvard grad you will have received a top notch education, its just what you do with it. I don't know much about either school and you, but either way the lives of so many people will be in your hands. So whereever you are the most happy, that is where I think you should go.

So now for the fun stuff, whats your decision? :thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup:

IheartCaffeine said:

LOL :laugh:

Just a quick note, you may go to RFUMS and the rep may not be all that, but you are really fortunate to have the chance to be in U.S. medical school, there are thousands among thousands (myself included) who would give everything for an acceptance letter from RFUMS. :)

BTW, how do you like the naval base next door lol ;)

DrVanNostran said:
LOL :laugh:

Just a quick note, you may go to RFUMS and the rep may not be all that, but you are really fortunate to have the chance to be in U.S. medical school, there are thousands among thousands (myself included) who would give everything for an acceptance letter from RFUMS. :)

BTW, how do you like the naval base next door lol ;)

What's wrong with RFUMS? Chicago Med trains great clinicians and all the people I met from Chicago Med are awesome.

neutropenic said:
What's wrong with RFUMS? Chicago Med trains great clinicians and all the people I met from Chicago Med are awesome.

I have nothing against them at all, I was just replying what someone else said about Rosalinds reputation. I personally LOVE that school. Ive visited it many times, had a lot of family go there.

I am applying early decision there for 2007. Hence, I would give everything and anything for an admissions letter:)

I apologize if I came off negatively about RFUMS.

Hi,
I'm a 4th year HMS, stopped by the allopathic from for old time's sake :) funny how the discussions don't change much over the years. I can speak to Harvard, won't say much about UCSF since I didn't go there...

So to start, unless finances is an overwhelming, burdoning thing on you, I'd say don't worry about it, don't let that make your decisions for you, use other metrics instead, medicine is heavily supported and you won't live a life of poverty, or anything close to it, unless you explicity choose to do so. You won't be any significantly more or less financially solvent in 10 years having gone to UCSF or HMS. Plus HMS is very generous with fin aid, and once you're here, it's surprising how much easier it is to get scholarships, grants, etc, I'm graduating with a debt of $40K, I think ave is like $80K, it's not great, but not horrible... really, try not to make finances a deciding factor, things work out...

Family and weather are reasonable concerns. These are personal issues, some people come to Boston and get depressed, that sucks, if weather is that important to you, it's important you stay in good climate. It can be hard to fly coast to coast. It's 4 years, for some that's too much to bear, for others, it's ok, a new experience...

At risk of being flaimed over this, I'm going to mention the name game. Harvard has a great rep, this is true. If you're planning to stay squarely in medicine, frankly, I'm not sure you get too much an advantage from Harvard vs UCSF. If you have any interests outside of medicine, I think Harvard helps. I really think non-medicine people just see Harvard as an icon of something really impressive. Accordingly, it gives you recognition and makes a good first impression to help you convince people when you're thinking about projects that you're a person they can trust and support. This comes in really helpful whether you're applying for a scholarship (for instance, check out Soros Scholos, http://www.pdsoros.org/), trying to start up a small public health project, or do an international summer experience or 4th year experience. Plus, Harvard gives incredible internal support to it's students. If you want to take a year off, you're almost guaranteed a a ~$30K support for that year as long as your project is reasonable. I'm not sure UCSF does that, it may, I really don't know, best to ask UCSF students about their side... Ultimately where I'm going is that HMS and UCSF probably open the same doors if you talk about most medical oriented careers, but when you start talking about potential somewhat less traditional careers, HMS I think definitally opens those doors more than most other schools (schools in this category are schools that the "general public" would find to be most impressive, places like Yale, Hopkins, Stanford, Harvard, etc), and so that may be worth taking into consideration.

The whole thing about HMS students being clinically poor is an oversimplification. HMS students tend to be, on average, more multi-interested in kinda complicated, multifaceted careers than most med school grads, and those people, just by virtue of having their interests and time split amongst multiple things, do tend to be a little less pure clinical prodigies than others who are focussed on purely clinical work, for better and for worse. There are some here who are purely clinically focussed, and they're probably as good as any other strong clinical graduate at any other school. There comes a point where there's only 24 hours in a day, and you can't be perfect at everything...

I've absolutely loved being at HMS, it's a great crowd, fun city, and professionally a great experience. I've been able to get involved with some really awesome research and other international health projects and random other things that I'm not sure I would have had the opportunity to do at very many other places. I'm not saying that such opportunities are not available anywhere else, you can probably make things happen at any medical school in the nation with enough motivation, and I'm sure at UCSF it wouldn't take much extra work than it would at HMS to do such things, but definitally at HMS the opportunities are like low hanging fruit. Good luck!

CaOxylate said:
Hi,
I'm a 4th year HMS, stopped by the allopathic from for old time's sake :) funny how the discussions don't change much over the years. I can speak to Harvard, won't say much about UCSF since I didn't go there...

So to start, unless finances is an overwhelming, burdoning thing on you, I'd say don't worry about it, don't let that make your decisions for you, use other metrics instead, medicine is heavily supported and you won't live a life of poverty, or anything close to it, unless you explicity choose to do so. You won't be any significantly more or less financially solvent in 10 years having gone to UCSF or HMS. Plus HMS is very generous with fin aid, and once you're here, it's surprising how much easier it is to get scholarships, grants, etc, I'm graduating with a debt of $40K, I think ave is like $80K, it's not great, but not horrible... really, try not to make finances a deciding factor, things work out...

Family and weather are reasonable concerns. These are personal issues, some people come to Boston and get depressed, that sucks, if weather is that important to you, it's important you stay in good climate. It can be hard to fly coast to coast. It's 4 years, for some that's too much to bear, for others, it's ok, a new experience...

At risk of being flaimed over this, I'm going to mention the name game. Harvard has a great rep, this is true. If you're planning to stay squarely in medicine, frankly, I'm not sure you get too much an advantage from Harvard vs UCSF. If you have any interests outside of medicine, I think Harvard helps. I really think non-medicine people just see Harvard as an icon of something really impressive. Accordingly, it gives you recognition and makes a good first impression to help you convince people when you're thinking about projects that you're a person they can trust and support. This comes in really helpful whether you're applying for a scholarship (for instance, check out Soros Scholos, http://www.pdsoros.org/), trying to start up a small public health project, or do an international summer experience or 4th year experience. Plus, Harvard gives incredible internal support to it's students. If you want to take a year off, you're almost guaranteed a a ~$30K support for that year as long as your project is reasonable. I'm not sure UCSF does that, it may, I really don't know, best to ask UCSF students about their side... Ultimately where I'm going is that HMS and UCSF probably open the same doors if you talk about most medical oriented careers, but when you start talking about potential somewhat less traditional careers, HMS I think definitally opens those doors more than most other schools (schools in this category are schools that the "general public" would find to be most impressive, places like Yale, Hopkins, Stanford, Harvard, etc), and so that may be worth taking into consideration.

The whole thing about HMS students being clinically poor is an oversimplification. HMS students tend to be, on average, more multi-interested in kinda complicated, multifaceted careers than most med school grads, and those people, just by virtue of having their interests and time split amongst multiple things, do tend to be a little less pure clinical prodigies than others who are focussed on purely clinical work, for better and for worse. There are some here who are purely clinically focussed, and they're probably as good as any other strong clinical graduate at any other school. There comes a point where there's only 24 hours in a day, and you can't be perfect at everything...

I've absolutely loved being at HMS, it's a great crowd, fun city, and professionally a great experience. I've been able to get involved with some really awesome research and other international health projects and random other things that I'm not sure I would have had the opportunity to do at very many other places. I'm not saying that such opportunities are not available anywhere else, you can probably make things happen at any medical school in the nation with enough motivation, and I'm sure at UCSF it wouldn't take much extra work than it would at HMS to do such things, but definitally at HMS the opportunities are like low hanging fruit. Good luck!

Thank you! You insights are extremely helpful. They both confirm some of the things that I have been pondering in regard to HMS, and have helped me to focus some of the questions that I have for UCSF. I am interested in doing the "outside" things of which you write. Again, thank you -really very helpful! Good luck in the future ~

CaOxylate said:

Thanks CaOxylate! I love the way you put it! :thumbup:

You all are so helpful! There is certainly a lot of factors to consider, I guess. I'll definitely let you know when I've made a decision! Thanks again for the fantastic help!