Mature Cdn IMG applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just joining forum and want to say hello. I'm a 39yo Canadian/US dual citizen who is feeling by the day that Aussie schools are both the best fit for me and, perhaps, my best chance at admission. Needs to be a lifestyle choice since I'm pulling my toddler daughter and wife along with me.

An interesting spin which may interest others is that my GPA for North American schools calculates out painfully low even though I feel pretty good about my accomplishments. But in Oz, the same coursework and marks puts me in the middle of the interview cohort. I understand this is because (a) some Oz schools don't look at first year marks (and who was really ON in their first year anyway) (b) weight fourth year more than third year more than second year...(c) don't break out science/math numbers into a separate average.

On the flip side, Oz schools have relatively fewer options to tell one's story (letters, personal essay) so my life experience (entertaining to say the least at my ripe age) doesn't count as much or as early (presumably only at the interview). But at least now my marks may get me an interview.

So any other mature Oz applicants out there? How do people think Oz schools perceive us oldies?

Members don't see this ad.

Unch said:
Just joining forum and want to say hello. I'm a 39yo Canadian/US dual citizen who is feeling by the day that Aussie schools are both the best fit for me and, perhaps, my best chance at admission. Needs to be a lifestyle choice since I'm pulling my toddler daughter and wife along with me.

An interesting spin which may interest others is that my GPA for North American schools calculates out painfully low even though I feel pretty good about my accomplishments. But in Oz, the same coursework and marks puts me in the middle of the interview cohort. I understand this is because (a) some Oz schools don't look at first year marks (and who was really ON in their first year anyway) (b) weight fourth year more than third year more than second year...(c) don't break out science/math numbers into a separate average.

On the flip side, Oz schools have relatively fewer options to tell one's story (letters, personal essay) so my life experience (entertaining to say the least at my ripe age) doesn't count as much or as early (presumably only at the interview). But at least now my marks may get me an interview.

So any other mature Oz applicants out there? How do people think Oz schools perceive us oldies?

I would say try DO program before going to Oz.
US DO program you have full practice rights in most of Canada (not in Sask and Nova scotia.. I think).

They look at mature applicants differently.

Does Do equal MD in Canada, or are you limited like in America. I haven't heard of DO's in Canada, and I have never heard of anyoine getting a DO degree and becoming an MD in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you're not too familiar with the whole DO vs MD thing, so maybe I can offer a few basics. DOs and MDs are separate medical degrees. BOTH are physicians with FULL practice rights and privileges in the states. They are not exactly the same degree, but quite similar. Yes, some DOs practice in Canada with full practice rights, but DOs are definitely the minority in the country. In fact, hardly anyone has ever heard of a DO before in the Great White North.

Many (but not all) of the Canadian provinces allow DOs full practice rights, similar to MDs. Only a couple/few have restrictions or limitations on what DOs can do in their respective province. However, DOs have recently made big strides with increased awareness, practice rights, etc within the country. I'm considering practicing in Alberta. I know of only 1 DO in the province, yet quite a few others practice in other provinces.

If you're interested in learning more about DOs in Canada, many other students are looking at that option and are willing to chat. Best of luck with what ever you do.

Hey mkmgal,

I'm just wondering if you know of any DO's in British Columbia?
Specifically around vancouver (anywhere within the tri-cities).
I'd like to shadow one to keep my options open and to ask a few questions I have about DO's in Canada.

Thanks!

Nope, unfortunately, I don't know any DOs in BC...even though I'm from Seattle. However, I know the president of the "Canadian Osteopathic Assocation" (which has about 20 members!). His name is Ted Findlay (email: [email protected]). He's a great guy, and I'm sure he could direct you to someone in the province. Best of luck!

I went to Sydney Uni, and really enjoyed my 4 years there. The medical training was excellent, as was the weather! But I was single with no children. I think Australia is a great place to live, it just depends on whether your wife is willing to make the move.

As for being accepted into an Australian medical school as a mature student- no problem at Univ of Sydney, as long as your grades/MCAT scores are high enough. There were several mature students in my class...Can't speak for the other unis though.

As a side note: I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but it's pretty expensive to study overseas as an international student. If I were you I'd investigate the australian immigration website (http://www.immi.gov.au/permanent/index.htm), as there's a good chance you may qualify for permanent residency and therefore only have to pay local student fees.

Hope this helps!

PS Just to let you know, it's slim pickins for post grad training positions in Canada once you complete your course in Oz, as you're considered and international medical grad. Something to consider...

whoam said:
Does Do equal MD in Canada, or are you limited like in America. I haven't heard of DO's in Canada, and I have never heard of anyoine getting a DO degree and becoming an MD in Canada.

Hi, I did not not even know you guys where talking about this or I would of definitely jumped in.

Yes... in most provinces in Canada, a US DO degree gives you equal rights to practice in Canada. This is now limited to a few specialties, but this will change. Mainly FP, ER, Ped. ie primary care.

I posted some info on this Canadian site. But this info is also available on SDN. That was my main source.

http://p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm21.showMessage?topicID=302.topic

mkmgal said:
I assume you're not too familiar with the whole DO vs MD thing, so maybe I can offer a few basics. DOs and MDs are separate medical degrees. BOTH are physicians with FULL practice rights and privileges in the states. They are not exactly the same degree, but quite similar. Yes, some DOs practice in Canada with full practice rights, but DOs are definitely the minority in the country. In fact, hardly anyone has ever heard of a DO before in the Great White North.

Many (but not all) of the Canadian provinces allow DOs full practice rights, similar to MDs. Only a couple/few have restrictions or limitations on what DOs can do in their respective province. However, DOs have recently made big strides with increased awareness, practice rights, etc within the country. I'm considering practicing in Alberta. I know of only 1 DO in the province, yet quite a few others practice in other provinces.

If you're interested in learning more about DOs in Canada, many other students are looking at that option and are willing to chat. Best of luck with what ever you do.

That is correct. I can also answer some questions for you if you wish.

FungManX said:
Hey mkmgal,

I'm just wondering if you know of any DO's in British Columbia?
Specifically around vancouver (anywhere within the tri-cities).
I'd like to shadow one to keep my options open and to ask a few questions I have about DO's in Canada.

Thanks!

There is Dr.Church in Victoria. I don't know if there are any in Vancouver. The best person to contact is Dr.Findley since he will have an up to date list.

I know that there are DO presently in Alberta, Ontario, BC, Quebec, and NB.