maxillary mandibular movemants and their CUSP positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diantist

lil dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am again back with the problem of maxillary mandibular movements... i admit that i am now able to figure out the movement .... welll that was very simple after reading a post by gpg.... awesome work done..... but now the problem is that i am not able to get the cusps right... lets take ...an example...ASDA reprints test packet I-G.. released 1986 and 1987....
its question(Q.) no 1,3,5,7,9.....okay.... the Q.no 1 is
assuming the occlusion and alighnment are normal the arrows on the sketch below represent the path taken by the .......
( the diagram shows maxillary right teeth showing 1st and 2nd premolars and the 1st and 2nd molar and the arrow is pointing bucally )
the options are ..
1.mesio facial cusp(C) of second molar
2.mesio lingual C of 2nd molar
3.disto facial C of 2nd molar
4.disto lingual C of 2nd molar
5. mesio facial cusp of 3rd molar
alll i wana know is that how do u decide the cusp ... its killing me like crazy,,,,,,,,,, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: .... pleasesome 1 help me as this time i dont wana fail the test...... u all are my only hope... plz dont let me down... :thumbup: illl appreciate a private message.... plz...plz...plz.....plz....plz....pzl......
exam next week ... so plz...plz..plz... hurry im waiting

Members don't see this ad.

Hi: Do you know about the "picket fence"? It's a way to figure this out. Also, do you know about the arrows with respect to direction - the secret behind them?

I'll know how to help is I know what you have already figured out.

AU INLAY

hope u got my message... a private message..... well what do u think.... let me know.. please guide me if u think i have done my part on tryng to figure out what it is...plz... also what is picket fence... i have no idea.... im waiting....also the arrows that are obliquly directed its a little confusing.... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

The cusps they're asking about are located at the BASE of the arrows - the very, very bottom line of the arrow. So, wherever the arrow starts, is where the cusp in question is starting before moving as designated by the arrow.

The arrow you're talking about on question #1 of the 1986 test begins in the central fossa of the maxillary second molar. Which cusp is in that fossa during normal class I occlusion? The distofacial cusp of a (mandibular) second molar.

Every other question with the arrows has the same premise behind it. Take #3 on the 1986 test. The base of the arrow is on the marginal ridges between the maxillary first and second molars. The cusp that occludes there in class I is the mesiofacial cusp of a mandibular second molar.

#5 has the arrow beginning in the central fossa of the mandibular first molar. Which cusp is locatecd there in class I occlusion? The mesiolingual cusp of the maxillary first molar.

Etc., etc., etc.