maximum displacement in a mass-spring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSaiyan3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan stated in a practice passage that the max. displacement in a mass-spring is TWO TIMES that of the amplitude

why would this be true? How would you know that? What would the amplitude even be??

Members don't see this ad.

In simple harmonic motion the x (displacemnt)= +A to -A. Amp in this way is 1 period. Think about it the particle or whatever travels up and then down the same distance 2X. So it is 2x the A value. So in finding the value of x use x=A cos theata which in turn is equiv. to A cos omega*time

In simple harmonic motion the x (displacemnt)= +A to -A. Amp in this way is 1 period. Think about it the particle or whatever travels up and then down the same distance 2X. So it is 2x the A value. So in finding the value of x use x=A cos theata which in turn is equiv. to A cos omega*time

The time from +A to -A is not 1 period, it is a half period.

The time from +A to -A to +A again would be 1 period.

Kaplan stated in a practice passage that the max. displacement in a mass-spring is TWO TIMES that of the amplitude

why would this be true? How would you know that? What would the amplitude even be??

I always defined Amplitude as maximum displacement from the equilibrium.

Are you comparing 1 or 2 diff springs here?

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you mind posting the exact question? I'd like to look at the wording. The maximum displacement from equilibrium would only be the amplitude. The maximum displacement from fully compressed to fully stretched would be twice the amplitude.

Would you mind posting the exact question? I'd like to look at the wording. The maximum displacement from equilibrium would only be the amplitude. The maximum displacement from fully compressed to fully stretched would be twice the amplitude.

Don't quite recall where the question is, but I think that's what they meant.

The maximum displacement would be 2A (amplitude).

Good explanations all around, and yes, Crest to trough (+A to -A) is HALF the period.

Thank you!!

-SS3

Yeah sorry typo.. ment to write in 1/2..but yeah that's how i think about in terms of periods