May 15 or June 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the date that students are expected to narrow their acceptances down to one school has historically been May 15, but I've heard that, because of all the delays this year, that date has been postponed to June 15. Any truth to that?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything about that. I imagine that most schools will be done interviewing by then, or if they are still interviewing, it will only be for waitlist spots. So I think everyone should have a good idea of where they're accepted and should be able to make a decision.

In short, I don't see any reason why they should postpone it.

I think you are getting that info from Gower, who probably wrote June 15 instead of May 15 by accident.

So far all the schools I've talked to say that May 15 is the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell no. Not June 15th. I can't wait another freaking month. It's still May 15th from all the schools I've talked to.

I am hoping that those holding multiple acceptances will start dropping them once the second look weekends are done and they get their financial aid packages. Thus, if it is June 15 or May 15, it seems like it wouldn't really matter what the date is. If someone is still holding multiple acceptances on June 15, they are truly an a$$.

It is May 15th, not June 15th. So if you're on a waitlist, don't start getting concerned until after then.

Straight from the ammc website:

Recommendations Concerning Medical School Acceptance Procedures for First-Year Entering Students

For the information of prospective medical students and their advisors, the recommended procedures for offering acceptance to medical school and for student responses to those offers are as follows:

Each school of medicine should prepare and distribute to applicants and college advisors a detailed schedule of its application and acceptance procedures and should adhere to this schedule unless it is publicly amended.
Each school of medicine should agree not to notify its applicants (except for those applying via Early Decision Program [EDP]) of acceptance prior to October 15 of each admission cycle.

By March 15 of the year of matriculation, each school of medicine should have issued a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of its first-year entering class. [Note: For the 2002 entering class this date has been extended to March 29, 2002.]

Only after May 15 are schools free to apply appropriate rules for dealing with accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, hold one or more places in other schools. These rules should recognize the problems of the applicant who has multiple offers and also of those applicants who have not yet been accepted. Only schools whose first official day of classes begins prior to August 1 may start to request decisions from accepted applicants prior to May 15 but not earlier than April 15. This rule applies to all accepted applicants for the entering medical school class, including those individuals entering M.D./Ph.D. programs and individuals to whom merit scholarships or other special scholarships have been awarded.

By May 15 of the year of matriculation, an applicant who has received offers of admission from more than one school should choose the one school that he or she prefers and withdraw from all other schools to which he or she has been accepted.

*Prior to May 15 of the year of matriculation, an applicant should be given at least two weeks to reply to an offer of admission. After May 15, schools may require applicants to respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks. An applicant may be required to file a statement of intent, a deposit, or both. The statement of intent should provide freedom to withdraw if the applicant is later accepted by a school that he or she prefers. Under no circumstances should an applicant be asked to withdraw from waiting lists as a condition of accepting a place.

*It is recommended that the acceptance deposit not exceed $100 and be refundable until May 15. After that date, a school may retain the deposit as a late withdrawal fee. If the applicant matriculates at the school, the school is encouraged to credit the deposit toward tuition.
Subsequent to June 1, a school of medicine seeking to admit an applicant already known to be accepted by another school for that entering class should advise that school of its intent. Because of the administrative problems involved in filling a place vacated just prior to the commencement of the academic year, schools should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to keep misunderstandings at a minimum.

After an applicant has enrolled in a U.S. school of medicine or begun a brief orientation program contiguous to enrollment, no further acceptances should be offered to that individual. Once enrolled in a school, students have an obligation to withdraw their applications promptly from all other schools. Enrollment is defined as being officially registered as a member of the first-year entering class at a school.

All letters of recommendation submitted in support of an applicant to a medical school are confidential. No portion of the letter should be read to an applicant during an interview. This requirement is subject to any Sunshine Laws within specific states.

*Most of what is stated in these two procedures does not pertain to students accepted through the Early Decision Program (EDP), because such students agree in advance to attend a given medical school if offered a place during the "early decision" segment of the application year.

Damn, Georgetown has a $3K tuition pre-payment due by July 1st. That's in addition to the $100 they require to hold your spot b4 that. WTF?? $3K is a lil crazy!!

Why is it that we freak out about everything?? Perhaps, Gower accidentally typed June istead of May...I dunno. Perhaps, he's got the inside info that we're not clued into yet?? I really don't know, but I do know he's a great guy, and he answered my question in a timely manner. I posted that "Confusion about waitlist" thread so that it'd put to rest the rumor about schools knowing where we were waitlisted. I'm sorry that post has now caused unrest about 5/15...

I really hope that the date hasn't been moved back because that will just make things really difficult for us on waitlists! Everyone make up your minds quickly so some waitlists can start moving, please? :)

Yeah, I got that date from Gower on the medicalgold website. I, too, hope it's not for real-- that would mean possibly waiting another month to get off a waitlist, and I really can't do that at this point.

P Smurfy took the words out of my mouth, I can't wait another freaking month!

Though I'm not so sure if Grower made a mistake in saying June 15th vs. May 15 because it may be true that most applicants drop weeks after they are given the deadline on May 15th. Decisions are made via snail mail too I bet.

Also Grower's said in many posts that waitlist movement mostly occur in June.

who is grover? he gave me some good advice but I'm just wondering how the heck he knows about every school

i think he's an advisor with connections and have been around for a while in the med application process. He's answer your questions on <a href="http://www.medicalgold.com" target="_blank">www.medicalgold.com</a>