May 15th Deadline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mybubbles627

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know May 15th is supposedly the deadline where people have to chose only 1 school, but what happens if they don't? Is the May 15th deadline one of those "recommended" rules by AMCAS or is it actually "required"? Will the schools pull their acceptance? How can medical schools ensure that people drop all but 1 school on May15th. I know if people get off a wait list post May 15th, they have like 2 weeks to decide or what not, but I'm just curious about before that.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose if you haven't put down a deposit they offer your spot to someone else

So I know May 15th is supposedly the deadline where people have to chose only 1 school, but what happens if they don't? Is the May 15th deadline one of those "recommended" rules by AMCAS or is it actually "required"? Will the schools pull their acceptance? How can medical schools ensure that people drop all but 1 school on May15th. I know if people get off a wait list post May 15th, they have like 2 weeks to decide or what not, but I'm just curious about before that.

You report to AMCAS which school, how you go about doing this.. idk? But it is a requires deadline yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume since schools can see where you've been accepted at that stage, they'll demand to know why you haven't decided on one school and force you to make an immediate decision or lose your spot. I know the May 15 deadline is an AAMC "recommendation," but schools treat it as policy. Not only is it not fair to wait listed applicants, but I'd imagine schools want to have their classes as close to finalized as possible before registration/orientation.

May 15 isn't the deadline, it's the date that schools can begin putting ultimatums on acceptees.

If you don't choose (and notify) by May 15 you:

1. Lose your deposit at the schools you don't end up attending
2. Could get forced to make a decision as medical schools open up communication lines with each other at this point and are most likely aware of your multiple acceptances. (I'm not sure if this is instantly known on May 15 or not. It is in writing that when you are accepted off a wait list after May 15, the other school you are holding an acceptance to is notified of this.)

I suppose if you haven't put down a deposit they offer your spot to someone else

Each school has there own deadline for deposit submission that is usually 2-3 weeks from the date on your acceptance letter. Therefore, this deadline is much earlier for most accepted applicants and it's not a universal deadline.