October 15th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDbecomesMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN community! I have a question regarding October 15th. It is my understanding that this is the date in which MD schools *may* begin handing out Acceptances. My question is, for those people who interview prior to October 15th, who all should expect to begin hearing back then?

For example, if I interviewed in early august and then at another school in mid-September, should I expect to hear from one interview but not the other? Etc.

I realize this likely varies from school to school so there may be no cut-and-dry answer, but I know it doesn’t hurt to ask here!

Members don't see this ad.

This was almost three years ago, but I interviewed at 3 schools in mid to late September 2019 and was accepted to one on October 28th. That school released decisions on October 15th, but I was not one that heard from them on the 15th. The ones that heard on the 15th likely interviewed before me. You have a good chance of hearing from your school on Oct 15th if you are accepted b/c you interviewed pretty early provided your school starts releasing decisions on the 15th. Check previous threads to see if they do. GL.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey SDN community! I have a question regarding October 15th. It is my understanding that this is the date in which MD schools *may* begin handing out Acceptances. My question is, for those people who interview prior to October 15th, who all should expect to begin hearing back then?

For example, if I interviewed in early august and then at another school in mid-September, should I expect to hear from one interview but not the other? Etc.

I realize this likely varies from school to school so there may be no cut-and-dry answer, but I know it doesn’t hurt to ask here!
Impossible to answer.

You may have bombed your interviews, for one.

Or, the s hools want to wait until springtime and waitlist picking season.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was almost three years ago, but I interviewed at 3 schools in mid to late September 2019 and was accepted to one on October 28th. That school released decisions on October 15th, but I was not one that heard from them on the 15th. The ones that heard on the 15th likely interviewed before me. You have a good chance of hearing from your school on Oct 15th if you are accepted b/c you interviewed pretty early provided your school starts releasing decisions on the 15th. Check previous threads to see if they do. GL.
Thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate it! 😊

Impossible to answer.

You may have bombed your interviews, for one.

Or, the s hools want to wait until springtime and waitlist picking season.
Definitely don’t feel like I bombed either, but I understand what you’re getting at. Also realize that all schools are looking for something different on interview day. Thanks, Goro!

Please read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .

It is the first date that MD schools can send out regular decision offers, but they have until March to send out enough offers to fill their classes. I doubt that most programs will just fill their classes in mid-October knowing they have months of interviewing and possible other desirable candidates to go through February/March. But if they did, everyone else gets relegated to the waitlist for likely movement closer to when CYMS opens. No, I would not expect a decision on 10/15 if you interviewed in early October. Also, not everyone started interviews at the same time, but I would hope those who interviewed in late July would find out a result in mid-October. I don't know about the August/September folks because of when interviews started at various schools.

That said, programs may fill have filled up all of the interview spots by early October, so sending out offers will help create some room in the interview schedule as those with offers from their top choice programs begin to drop their interviews scheduled for later in the cycle.

Please read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .

It is the first date that MD schools can send out regular decision offers, but they have until March to send out enough offers to fill their classes. I doubt that most programs will just fill their classes in mid-October knowing they have months of interviewing and possible other desirable candidates to go through February/March. But if they did, everyone else gets relegated to the waitlist for likely movement closer to when CYMS opens. No, I would not expect a decision on 10/15 if you interviewed in early October. Also, not everyone started interviews at the same time, but I would hope those who interviewed in late July would find out a result in mid-October. I don't know about the August/September folks because of when interviews started at various schools.

That said, programs may fill have filled up all of the interview spots by early October, so sending out offers will help create some room in the interview schedule as those with offers from their top choice programs begin to drop their interviews scheduled for later in the cycle.

Thanks for this resource and for your insight! I will definitely take some time to read through it. I appreciate all the help you all give on SDN.

I was wrong about you having a good chance to hear from your school on 10/15 because 10/15 was a Saturday. Congrats on your two MD acceptances on 10/17.

Reactions: 2 users
I was wrong about you having a good chance to hear from your school on 10/15 because 10/15 was a Saturday. Congrats on your two MD acceptances on 10/17.
Thank you for your prior feedback and the congratulations! An extra two days of waiting was definitely worth it. 😊

It varies school to school from my experience (though like others, I applied 3 ish years ago). I had 8 MD IIs that i attended before October 15. I heard back from 3 schools on October 15. The others I heard back from were in November and December. the rest of the cycle was variable