May 15th making you anxious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Tweed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get a little nervous about the 15th. I'm fairly certain of where I'll be heading, but this feels like a very important (and permanent) decision.
Anyone else getting a bit concerned?

:confused: :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Mr.Tweed said:
I'm starting to get a little nervous about the 15th. I'm fairly certain of where I'll be heading, but this feels like a very important (and permanent) decision.

It's not permanent. It's only 4 years. :)

I can't wait until the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, and every date after! I need to hear some news one way of the other!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr.Tweed said:

I'm very anxious lately. I hope all the WL movement happens before June 1st, because my whole life is on hold at the moment. It really sucks. I find myself distancing myself from friends and stuff, because I'm moving away in 4 weeks (unless of course I get an important phone call soon).

Yeah, that's another problem. I have to make a decision by the 15th, but that date really means nothing because of the waitlists. So even after I've made my decision, I haven't necessarily made a final decision.

Eraserhead said:
I'm very anxious lately. I hope all the WL movement happens before June 1st, because my whole life is on hold at the moment. It really sucks. I find myself distancing myself from friends and stuff, because I'm moving away in 4 weeks (unless of course I get an important phone call soon).

Eraserhead said:

Which school in NorCal are you waiting on?

Most of the movement the last two years except for a few schools (Tulane, GT comes to mind) happened about may 25th through June 25th or so, with not much after that.

I hope that's the case, but still you never know. I'd really like to move this summer, but I can't really sign a new year-long lease if there's a chance I could end up somewhere else.

Jalby said:
Most of the movement the last two years except for a few schools (Tulane, GT comes to mind) happened about may 25th through June 25th or so, with not much after that.

Alexander99 said:
Which school in NorCal are you waiting on?

the Berk-UCSF JMP deal. Which is only 12 people, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high but since it starts on June 21st things should happen soon if they happen.

Eraserhead said:
the Berk-UCSF JMP deal. Which is only 12 people, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high but since it starts on June 21st things should happen soon if they happen.

I hope jalby is right, b/c by july, im set on Case if i dont get in MSSM by then.

DK, the JMP program is awesome as the professors, but you probably already realize that. Maybe its the Berkeley culture since their prof's are at Cal? The JMP's end up being in a lot of public health courses. In fact some of them are part of the JMP curriculum I think. I was lucky enough to cross paths w/ some of the JMP professors through the MPH program. Anyways, good luck w/ it.

Relax guys, only goodthings will happen...

Does anyone else have this weird fear that if they drop their other schools then somehow, something will happen where the school they plan to attend doesn't work out? It's not really a rational fear, I mean, people do this every year and then go on to school and it all works out fine. But I feel nervous about actually just saying: ok, it's me and this school and that's it.

Just voicing my premed fears here... :eek:

exmike said:
I hope jalby is right, b/c by july, im set on Case if i dont get in MSSM by then.

I try to be right most of the time. You can probably dig up the "Waitlist movement" thread from last year to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
woolie said:
Does anyone else have this weird fear that if they drop their other schools then somehow, something will happen where the school they plan to attend doesn't work out? It's not really a rational fear, I mean, people do this every year and then go on to school and it all works out fine. But I feel nervous about actually just saying: ok, it's me and this school and that's it.

wasn't this an earlier thread?

Mr.Tweed said:

I am so scared it is not even funny. I am very happy that regardless of whether or not I get off one of my two waitlists that I care about, I will have a great school to fall back on. The scary thing is I have been working so hard especially with one school I am waitlisted at from applying ED to being deferred and then to being waitlisted. It is my top choice and I will get closure one way or another and I hope it is good closure. At times, I feel like I am not worthy of being accepted, that I am just being dragged along because they do not want to hurt my feelings. My finals' week is coming up and I am so scared that I will do badly on one final that may end my chances to get off a waitlist since I intend on sending my grades from this semester. UPenn, please show me some love! Yale is awesome too. Both would be better matches for me with UPenn being the perfect fit that Pitt and would be so much closer to my family and friends. Here's to hoping! Good luck to everyone on a waitlist and the best of luck to everyone going to medical school in the fall! :luck: :)

woolie said:

Funny- I remember feeling this very strongly last year. I will tell you honestly that choosing between schools was (by far) the most gut-wrenchingly unnerving part of the application process for me. Up to that point, all you can do is bust your butt and hope for the best... but then, all of a sudden there's this decision with HUGE potential consequences, and it's hard to get straight answers from anyone...

Then there's the sense that you are simply "throwing away" those other acceptances that you worked so hard for (even though that's not really the case). I had my choices down to two schools last year and I actually typed a letter to withdraw from both schools... had them both on my desk for a week.

The good news is, things will work out no matter what you decide and those who get to choose between schools should be forever grateful. The only advice I'll give you is DON'T BS yourself about what's important to you when deciding which school to attend. Any way you slice it, med school is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, and it will be different than you think it will. Put yourself in the place that feels right to you. Good luck!

and by the way, when you get home from your first gross anatomy lab, immediately put all of your clothes in the washing machine and get directly into the shower. Do NOT sit on your new couch in your funky scrubs....trust me...

After reviewing old threads from the past 3 application cycles, I noticed there is nothing particularly important about May 15. Most of the action in terms of people getting accepted off waitlists occurs in late May and throughout June. So don't be disappointed if you hear nothing on May 15.:thumbup:

Sounds like my prediction. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Ummm. This thread is not about being accepted off of a waitlist. It's about dropping acceptances that you have on May 15th.

Adapt said:
After reviewing old threads from the past 3 application cycles, I noticed there is nothing particularly important about May 15. Most of the action in terms of people getting accepted off waitlists occurs in late May and throughout June. So don't be disappointed if you hear nothing on May 15.:thumbup:

Mr.Tweed said:
Ummm. This thread is not about being accepted off of a waitlist. It's about dropping acceptances that you have on May 15th.

Ummm. It was.

I've been anxious since december when I was put on the waitlist for my top choice.

I don't expect nothin til July :(
Irvine takes their own sweet time and as for Davis.... well, they're still sending out interview invites!!! :(

I'm anxious for the period after May 15th because I feel like hoping for my waitlists will end up in nothingness. Unrequited hope hurts. :(

I'm also anxious in having to choose a school by the 15th. I'm still in limbo between choosing a school. :eek:

TheFlash said:
I'm anxious for the period after May 15th because I feel like hoping for my waitlists will end up in nothingness. Unrequited hope hurts. :(

I'm also anxious in having to choose a school by the 15th. I'm still in limbo between choosing a school. :eek:

I'm anxious about paying for summer housing in San Diego and then potentially having to move twice and lose the money I spent.