May be i am wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GKG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from dental school last year and completed one year internship in maxillofacial surgery . I would take the liberty of saying that most of the attendings and staff were happy with my performance . I have competitive grades , i did interview for a residency position at this program ( i'd be lying if i said i wasn't hopeful ,because i was !!!) i got rejected . I don't want to comment on the merits of the candidate who got accepted but i learn't later that the first and second year residents in the program are both pregnant ( it is a single resident each year program ) . Since that time this fact has been bothering me that may be it went against me . I don't know ????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Why on Earth would their pregnancies go against you? :confused::confused:

yeah im super confused why them being preggers would hurt you? Is it better to be preggers?

Members don't see this ad :)
well maybe the prog feels letdown by each res in the above years being preggers and so dont want another female to come in this year....with a high risk of getting preggers also and thus causing all the probs related to setting up leave etc....so maybe they gave the spot to a man and the OP is a woman.

I graduated from dental school last year and completed one year internship in maxillofacial surgery . I would take the liberty of saying that most of the attendings and staff were happy with my performance . I have competitive grades , i did interview for a residency position at this program ( i'd be lying if i said i wasn't hopeful ,because i was !!!) i got rejected . I don't want to comment on the merits of the candidate who got accepted but i learn't later that the first and second year residents in the program are both pregnant ( it is a single resident each year program ) . Since that time this fact has been bothering me that may be it went against me . I don't know ????:confused:

Where did you do your internship at? What are you going to do this next year?

They probally feel obligated to take the preg. women becuase they may be single mothers and need they money, or they think they would be more determined than a non preg. woman. But this does sound odd!

They probally feel obligated to take the preg. women becuase they may be single mothers and need they money

I don't think a licensed dentist "needs the money". (i.e. you must first be a licensed dentist before you can be an Maxillofacial surgery resident, not to mention they would be taking a HUGE pay cut for 4-6 years by becoming a resident). So I highly doubt that is a reason.

GKG
you can't know if what you fear was indeed what happened...
how about just trying again, both at that program and at others?
Don't let circumstances (whatever they may be) get in the way of what you want. Just go after it.
It may be helpful to talk with friendly/supportive faculty member(s) about what they think your chances would be to get in (to this or another program) if you try again.