May extra science courses just for LOR? Any opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeMAAWFAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my first post in dental forum. I am applying for Dental school this 2009 cycle. I graduated many years ago. Since I am a non-science major (nursing), I have only one biology professor who I feel comfortable about asking for LOR. However, most dental school will ask for two letters from science instructors. I called UOP and Temple, and they said I can substitute my nursing faculty advisor for a science professor (but my application may not be as strong as other applicants). I think getting an extra LOR from a science professor will expand my choices for schools, since Temple and UOP are very competitive.

Anyone non-traditional student has this kind of dilemma?? Paying ~$900 & lose my hours at work just to take a 4-credit Analytical chemistry course? And there's no guarantee whether I will get A and whether she will write me letter.

Members don't see this ad.

This will be my first post in dental forum. I am applying for Dental school this 2009 cycle. I graduated many years ago. Since I am a non-science major (nursing), I have only one biology professor who I feel comfortable about asking for LOR. However, most dental school will ask for two letters from science instructors. I called UOP and Temple, and they said I can substitute my nursing faculty advisor for a science professor (but my application may not be as strong as other applicants). I think getting an extra LOR from a science professor will expand my choices for schools, since Temple and UOP are very competitive.

Anyone non-traditional student has this kind of dilemma?? Paying ~$900 & lose my hours at work just to take a 4-credit Analytical chemistry course? And there's no guarantee whether I will get A and whether she will write me letter.

I think a good LOR from nursing professor is better than a science professor who doesn't really know you that well.

Are you going through a committee? You know that science also can be microbiology, physics, chemistry as well right? I would just try to setup an office hour appointment with one of the professors and just tell them you were in their class and if were possible to write a letter of recommendation stating you did well in a prerequisite class for D-school and that they support you blah blah. One time I just went to check my grade on an exam and told her my aspirations (To be a Dent) and she just goes: Oh if you need a LOR, just let me know. I had not ever spoke to her prior. So its worth a shot to ask, good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going through a committee? You know that science also can be microbiology, physics, chemistry as well right? I would just try to setup an office hour appointment with one of the professors and just tell them you were in their class and if were possible to write a letter of recommendation stating you did well in a prerequisite class for D-school and that they support you blah blah. One time I just went to check my grade on an exam and told her my aspirations (To be a Dent) and she just goes: Oh if you need a LOR, just let me know. I had not ever spoke to her prior. So its worth a shot to ask, good luck

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, most of my science courses are very old and are from CC. I got A from Biochem last semester but the professor doesn't know me due to large class (170 students). There is one Biology professor that taught me 5 years ago at community college. I think he might vaguely remember me. I will give it a try. I will meet with him personally next week. I don't think it's worth the stress and money just to take a class for an LOR.

Are you going through a committee? You know that science also can be microbiology, physics, chemistry as well right? I would just try to setup an office hour appointment with one of the professors

I went to see my biology professor today for a recommendation for dental schools. Instead, he persuaded me to go ahead and enroll in the pharmacy school (already accepted) and try to get into pharmaceutical/chemistry research or get a Ph.D.. He said "You are a very intelligent person. I think you need something more intellectually demanding.":confused::confused: I should have told him that I may be not that intellectual and like a routine boring but rewarding job that pays ok. That way, he may write me a letter right away. Anyway, I believe dentistry is a great field.

I can't convince him to believe that I should go into dentistry.:(:(:(
He is a very nice guy though. If I am very persistent, I believe he would write me a good one.

I may try to apply anyway with only one reference from a science teacher.

Last edited:
Wow really? Is he still going to write one? At least you'll be getting one! You try any other sci classes?

Wow really? Is he still going to write one? At least you'll be getting one! You try any other sci classes?

none of them will remember me. My pre-reqs are very old (5-7years).. He remembered me because I did very good on in his classes. He will write me one but I have to convince him why I want to be a dentist... I think.. I got B in physics II. I got A in Physic I and Gen Chem I but they definitely won't remember me.

Last edited:
Yep.. I think I might be taking the class. I am going to the class tomorrow. It's a Microbiology class and most importantly the instructor is also a pre-dental advisor.

It's cost $826 dollar + cost of 120 miles of gas /weeks during 8 week period, and I have to decide by the end of tomorrow. The most important thing I will be looking for is the personality of the instructor. It is difficult to predict if he would write me a recommendation. If he is approachable, then asking for a letter of recommendation would be possible (if I perform well in his class).

I don't want to be at risk of not having enough LORs for science professors.

Yes! I am crazy but I am desperate for LOR.

Last edited:
I think if you go ahead and do it, to meet this guy the first day and talk about if they would be comfortable writing a LOR for you. Then ace the class, and you would be all set with that LOR. Good luck in the class!

I think if you go ahead and do it, to meet this guy the first day and talk about if they would be comfortable writing a LOR for you. Then ace the class, and you would be all set with that LOR. Good luck in the class!
You may not be superstitious but I am..
I tossed the coin and turned out to be "head"--don't take the class (4 times in a roll).

At least, I am eligible to apply for one school, Temple University.
I will get three letters: Biology instruct, Nursing faculty and Employer.