May need to transfer residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychinator

Reaction score
I was a competitive residency applicant this year. I interviewed at top programs and matched at a very competitive place that was my top choice because I felt it was the best fit for me despite being a distance from my family. However, some unexpected issues have come up at home that have me seriously rethinking that decision. I'm about to start residency and will give my best effort, but if I need to be closer to home, how should I proceed? There is at least one program near home that seems like it usually takes PGY2 transfers, but are those usually reserved for people switching specialties? If I interviewed there last year and believe my application was well received, would they be open to taking me as a transfer? Certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position but trying to make the best of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a competitive residency applicant this year. I interviewed at top programs and matched at a very competitive place that was my top choice because I felt it was the best fit for me despite being a distance from my family. However, some unexpected issues have come up at home that have me seriously rethinking that decision. I'm about to start residency and will give my best effort, but if I need to be closer to home, how should I proceed? There is at least one program near home that seems like it usually takes PGY2 transfers, but are those usually reserved for people switching specialties? If I interviewed there last year and believe my application was well received, would they be open to taking me as a transfer? Certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position but trying to make the best of it.

Flying/driving home an option? If during third/fourth year you have a reasonable schedule and the ability to moonlight, you should be able to afford the trips. Depends on what circumstances you have going on, but would just do your best moving forward because you are locked into the start of PGY1 .

If I interviewed there last year and believe my application was well received, would they be open to taking me as a transfer? Certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position but trying to make the best of it.
if they liked you well enough you may not even have to interview again and they may just offer you a PGY-2 spot. otherwise you interview again and see what happens. PGY-2 spots are open to both transfers from other psych programs and other specialties. important thing is to have a good explanation for why you want to transfer and for that to not be a distraction.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks very much for that. My plan is to go into this year with as clear a mind as possible then in three months' time approach that program and my current PD and go from there.