maybe not take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swamprat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm registered to take the mcat sept 13th, however for the past 2-3 weeks I really haven't studied. I studied hard core over the summer for the most part - took a kaplan course and all. My high score overall was only a 29 but for individual sections of all the tests it was PS: 11 VR: 10 BS: 11 .. I guess I just couldn't put them all together yet..

Anyway I just figure I should try taking a practice test to see where I'm at, and I just couldn't even get through PS .. I am in no mood to take the test. With that being said, I also have a lot of school work since classes started again - biochem, physio, TA responsibilities etc. Now I wanna switch the test date but I'm afraid to do so because I feel like I'll regret not taking it. I just started my junior year so I know I have time and it's not a big deal, but at the same time I don't want to forget everything I learned :x. I guess I probably won't.

Any encouraging words of advice for me to change my test date lol .. I'm thinking about sometime in January right before school starts up again.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't feel like you are mentally prepared for the test, do NOT take it. That is almost as big a part as the actual intellectual/studying aspect. Since you are a junior, you still have ample opportunities. Plan on a January test. Review every so often for the next couple months, then hit things hard again around the holidays. That way if you aren't happy with your January result, you still have another "early" (April or May) option so that your apps will be right on time and you'll have your best foot forward for your entering class. Just my 2 cents. Goood luck!

If you don't feel like you are mentally prepared for the test, do NOT take it. That is almost as big a part as the actual intellectual/studying aspect. Since you are a junior, you still have ample opportunities. Plan on a January test. Review every so often for the next couple months, then hit things hard again around the holidays. That way if you aren't happy with your January result, you still have another "early" (April or May) option so that your apps will be right on time and you'll have your best foot forward for your entering class. Just my 2 cents. Goood luck!

Yeah thanks for the info. I mean all my friends are telling me to take it cause I studied and "you never know." This is a hard decision ..

I don't know but your studying over the summer would seem to be a waste.

Why don't you just grit your teeth and hit those AAMCs for the week or so you have and try to get in the low 30s at the least. It seems from your other scores that this is very much possible. Then you can take the test on the 13th and then if you don't feel good about it, I guess you could void.

I say bust ass for the next week and take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with the advice being given. Do NOT take this test before you are recording scores on practice tests that you are happy with! There's absolutely no reason to try and take it "just in case you get lucky". The risks outweigh the benefits here.

How often does someone score mid-20s to 29 on practice tests, yet miraculously hit a 32 on the real deal? It DOES happen occasionally, sure. But how much would you want to place on that bet?

Regardless of what a lot of folks will say about how retakes are not a big deal, schools will tell you otherwise! The Pritzker podcasts are a great resource. Basically they will echo the sentiment-- treat this test as something you will only take once. That said, schools can be understanding if an applicant records one bad score (due to being unprepared, in a traffic jam getting there, whatever), retakes and gets a great score. But anything beyond 2 scores is looked upon with great wariness. Anyway, even if 2 scores are okay (as long as the 2nd score shows huge improvement), the applicant that hits that 2nd score in 1 try still has a big advantage.

If nothing else, taking the test before being ready shows poor judgment. Especially since you're a junior, I really don't see any need to try and chance it. It's not like it'll push you back an application cycle or anything. I would take it in Jan, if I were you. Then if I don't do well, I could register for April and still be on top of things.

I have to disagree with unsung here. Honestly, how many ppl can say for sure that they are READY AND HAPPY with the practice scores they are receiving? Besides, "happy" is a relative term, so while a 29 might not be happy for some, it is for others.

With that said, I do agree with unsung though that you still have plenty of time since you just started your junior year. So why rush it?

just took 9/6 one. Sciences are lot harder than practice AAMCs. Don't let AAMCs put you into a sense of security.

I actually ran into the same situation as you. I took the Princeton course over the summer and was preparing for the Aug 26th exam. I also had a 29 overall, my highest scores were 12/10/12, but I too was having trouble pulling it all together. Few days before the test I took one final practice exam and my score dropped 4 points.... in the end I decided that I might as well sit for the exam and void if I wasn't feeling confident. And needless to say I ended up voiding. I'm starting my junior year and I'm now preparing for the January exam.

I felt really rushed towards the last two weeks, and I think I just burnt myself out. IMO going into the exam with the correct mentality is crucial, if you're not ready then I would advise you to take the exam at a later date.

yo man if your not ready and have time just take it in january and do really well on it

i am searchin for a test center cuz they are all booked and if you live on the east coast please let me know so i can maybe take ur spot

thanks