maybe stupid...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got my personal statement finished, but it's 1000 words too many. hmph. :mad: I've spaced twice between each sentence. Think it would be okay if I just spaced once?? This would help a lot... yay or nay?? :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

DMD to Be said:
I've got my personal statement finished, but it's 1000 words too many. hmph. :mad: I've spaced twice between each sentence. Think it would be okay if I just spaced once?? This would help a lot... yay or nay?? :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

I don't see how spacing only once is going to reduce your personal statement all that much. I'm thinking you'll probably need to edit your statement to take out extraneous detail.

it's amazing how much space a space can take. The average writer writes words with an average 4.5 characters in length, so if you write a 1000 word essay and double space you average 6.5 characters instead of 5.5 characters per word with a space. That's 6500 characters vs. 5500 characters...a big difference.

Sorry...I had lots of problems cutting mine down too. I even noticed that hitting enter on the personal statement box was equivalent to 2 characters, so I ended up combining a couple paragraphs.

Members don't see this ad :)
put one space in. I did and it worked for me.

ADCOMS:
"Hey Larry have you seen my ruler? I have about 300 more essays to measure to make sure they double spaced after a period."

:D

don't indent either, a tab takes alot of spaces.

DMD to Be said:

I used a single space after sentences. That said, no way will you go from 1000 characters too many to the limit of 4500. You will have to edit out the unnecessary and maybe some additional adjectives and such. Start soon, ans the editing from what i though was finished to what fit in the required number of characters took about as long as writing the PS in the first place.

DMD to Be said:
This would help a lot... yay or nay?? :thumbup: / :thumbdown:
i don't know, did you write 1,000 sentances? :laugh:

i :love: stupid questions

It probably is just too much. Too much is usually not a good thing, so instead of trying to cram it all in, I'd just scrap the bull and keep your key ideas - these should be detailed and not vague. Good luck.

ItsGavinC said:
The OP said he is 1000 WORDS over the limit. I'm assuming he means characters?

Yes, I was referring to characters. Sorry. Well, I'm cutting the two spaces down to one, and guess I'll only space twice for my indentions before each paragraph. Thanks for all of your advice... :thumbup: