maybe you guys can help me out.... : research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohdearhopeipass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hate research. well not hate, but i really don't like doing it. is there any way around doing research... how important is it for applications? i know it depends on the schools but i'm applying to private schools, so..... :( is there hope for me?

Members don't see this ad.

It's Dental school, not Medical school. You don't need research. Most dental school applicants/matriculants did not do research in undergrad. The ones who did do research either have a passion for it, or switched over from Pre-Med at some point. Some schools who are research-based will look favorably on it, but they won't look unfavorably on not having done research. Don't worry about it. :thumbup:

It definitely wouldn't hurt your app. I only did 3 semester's worth but it was interesting enough to come up in a few of my interviews. Being well-rounded helps set you apart in your application, and research plays into that. Just find a professor that is doing some research (as closely related to an aspect of dentistry as possible) and see if you can help out for a semester or two. You might end up liking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
well.. i did research just for fun. but seriously, having no research experience won't kill your app. You're you and you just need to show them that you have spent time fully and productively even without doing research during your undergrad. I haven't seen any school saying research is requirement. It's just some spice you can sprinkle on your app. If you have anything else that'll interest them, that might work just as well.

well.. i did research just for fun. but seriously, having no research experience won't kill your app. You're you and you just need to show them that you have spent time fully and productively even without doing research during your undergrad. I haven't seen any school saying research is requirement. It's just some spice you can sprinkle on your app. If you have anything else that'll interest them, that might work just as well.

i'm hosting my own art show this year... its not quite related to dentistry but is that cool too?

While that may look good on your app under EC's, in talking with an Adcom from UCSF, he was saying that the research needed to be done using scientific method, so that ruled out art and literature research.

While that may look good on your app under EC's, in talking with an Adcom from UCSF, he was saying that the research needed to be done using scientific method, so that ruled out art and literature research.

darn!