=== Mayo 2007 === The Remix ===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey, Melissainsd, I saw that you were accepted to OHSU, great! Where else did you get accepted to?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Melissainsd, I saw that you were accepted to OHSU, great! Where else did you get accepted to?
Thanks!
You can click on the link in my sig, it will tell you way more than you ever wanted to know. My heart still belongs to Mayo though...

Hi fellow alternate listers.

I just got off the phone with my favorite person at Mayo (i.e. Jane), and I have some info. Unfortunately it isn't too encouraging. Apparently even though we are not technically ranked, there are around 10 or so people deemed highly desirable. When someone withdraws they look through the top few on the alternate list and invite one of them. If the top few are too homogeneous, they will then look to other people on the list. There is no way for us to know if we are one of the few. Also, if you are not one of the few, your file will not be re-reviewed (therefore anything you send in now i.e. letter of intent) will not be read.

Poop.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just got off the phone with my favorite person at Mayo (i.e. Jane), and I have some info. Unfortunately it isn't too encouraging. Apparently even though we are not technically ranked, there are around 10 or so people deemed highly desirable. When someone withdraws they look through the top few on the alternate list and invite one of them. If the top few are too homogeneous, they will then look to other people on the list. There is no way for us to know if we are one of the few. Also, if you are not one of the few, your file will not be re-reviewed (therefore anything you send in now i.e. letter of intent) will not be read.

Poop.

NEVER lose hope.

Poop.

uggggh, then why bother waitlisting 60 of us?? i wish they would have narrowed it down a little farther so i could just officially give up hope. :( thanks for the info though.

uggggh, then why bother waitlisting 60 of us?? i wish they would have narrowed it down a little farther so i could just officially give up hope. :( thanks for the info though.

That reminds me, only one person turned down their spot on the list, so there are 65 people on the alternate list.

At least its only April 15th instead of May 15th like everywhere else...

At least its only April 15th instead of May 15th like everywhere else...

Totally. Oh, and this pic isn't of any relevance other than the fact that I think all of the alternate listers are on edge and need to see a cute funny baby (mine).

Attachments

• edited surprise.jpg
    edited surprise.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 109
Totally. Oh, and this pic isn't of any relevance other than the fact that I think all of the alternate listers are on edge and need to see a cute funny baby (mine).

Melissa,

In my head you look like Gate McFadden! :laugh:

That baby DOES have red hair (Like Dr Crusher) so I guess he COULD be yours...:smuggrin:

cute!

Melissa,

In my head you look like Gate McFadden! :laugh:

That baby DOES have red hair (Like Dr Crusher) so I guess he COULD be yours...:smuggrin:

:laugh: Nope, not like Gates (I wish). I am actually half-Mexican. The red hair is found randomly in both my family and my husbands. Not sure if he'll keep it...it seems to be blondish. Oh, and thanks tch001!

resizedthanksgiving.jpg

:laugh: Nope, not like Gates (I wish). I am actually half-Mexican. The red hair is found randomly in both my family and my husbands. Not sure if he'll keep it...it seems to be blondish. Oh, and thanks tch001!

Oh my gosh, How LOV-ER- LY!! :love:

You baby looks like he just wants to wink at the camera. Maybe you can get him some baby modeling gigs and he can pay mama's way thorugh med school !:thumbup:

Mayo admins, if you are reading this, HOW can you say NO to that cute baby! LET MELISSA in! :smuggrin:

:luck:

MAYO4LIFE *Sunny flashes M and C hand sign- does "The Rochester wiggle", the latest dance craze sweeping the pre-med boards.*

Members don't see this ad :)
Be hopeful... There are some acceptees with other acceptances trying to figure out what to do... may go either way. Good luck!

Very true. I think the weather in Rochester coupled with the fact that some Mayo acceptees still waver on the "prestige issue" of the medical school will bump more than a few of that waiting list.

So, when I wrote to Jane to tell her I wanted to be placed on the alternate list, I also asked if I could still add things to my file. She told me I could and also the following:
"The Admissions committee is finished with their deliberations, however when appointments are offered, Dr. Barrier does a review of the additions to the file."

Food for thought...

and it allows me to think that may be I could be in the top 10 :)

Keep the dream alive

Oh my gosh, How LOV-ER- LY!! :love:

You baby looks like he just wants to wink at the camera. Maybe you can get him some baby modeling gigs and he can pay mama's way thorugh med school !:thumbup:

Mayo admins, if you are reading this, HOW can you say NO to that cute baby! LET MELISSA in! :smuggrin:

MAYO4LIFE *Sunny flashes M and C hand sign- does "The Rochester wiggle", the latest dance craze sweeping the pre-med boards.*

Thanks sunnyjohn! I think he's adorable but I'm biased. Do you think it would help if I sent a photo of him in an "I heart Mayo" tee shirt? ;) You need to teach me the "Rochester wiggle" sometime...I love a good wiggle.

And Shadowboricua- thanks for coming back and supporting those of us still in limbo, we all hope to see you in July!

I think an "I heart Mayo" T-shirt would be good

Better yet how about one that reads "My mommy DID not get into Mayo off the waitlist and all she could afford because of her crushing student debt was this lousy t-shirt!"

:thumbup: :laugh:

I applied for a job in the ORs scrubbing at Mayo. Did you guys know they PAY for you to come out and interview PLUS moving expenses PLUS a sign on bonus?

Better yet how about one that reads "My momy DID not get into Mayo off the waitlist and all she could afford because of her crushing student debt was this lousy t-shirt!"

I'm totally making that!

Sunny, are you a pre-med? Did you get the interview for the job?

I haven't heard yet. I found out about the job in a journal for my association. I'll let you guys know what happens.

I'm a non-trad pre-med who has been dragging her feet about applying for years.

Okay, crappy news. I just got off the phone with Jane and she said they are extending the date to withdraw to May 15th. I guess the financial aid packages are late and they want to let people attend second looks (like Yale and Harvard). I asked Jane to email the info to the alternate listers, since it affects us too.

So now there will be one less month I have to buy my house in whatever city I end up. One month less to find childcare. One less month for my husband to get a job. One more month to worry. I feel like crying.

I’ll post the info on the facebook page and Mayo v. Yale thread.

Okay, crappy news. I just got off the phone with Jane and she said they are extending the date to withdraw to May 15th. I guess the financial aid packages are late and they want to let people attend second looks (like Yale and Harvard). I asked Jane to email the info to the alternate listers, since it affects us too.

So now there will be one less month I have to buy my house in whatever city I end up. One month less to find childcare. One less month for my husband to get a job. One more month to worry. I feel like crying.

I’ll post the info on the facebook page and Mayo v. Yale thread.

thanks for the news. that sucks :(

hey guys its me, your old friend...

melissa your baby is super cute! aside from that, everyone who has been blessed with the chance to at least still have hope - cherish it...

good luck to everyone,
mike

Yeah got the email too regarding the 1 month extension, thanks Melissa for getting that word out to us. Stinks that now it's the same as the AMCAS deadline so those who have spots who withdraw prior to May 15 may end up dropping someone on the waitlist a spot just prior to May 15 giving them as little as 1 day to think about it if they offered on May 14th! I Hope the Mayo offers come post May 15th to buy some more thinking time for multiple acceptances.

Yeah got the email too regarding the 1 month extension, thanks Melissa for getting that word out to us. Stinks that now it's the same as the AMCAS deadline so those who have spots who withdraw prior to May 15 may end up dropping someone on the waitlist a spot just prior to May 15 giving them as little as 1 day to think about it if they offered on May 14th! I Hope the Mayo offers come post May 15th to buy some more thinking time for multiple acceptances.

Good point, then again I have already decided about Mayo so I don't really need any time.

What happened to this thread? It's been the most dormant it has been in years :D **Bump** - anyone heard anything yet?

I think a lot of the talking has been transported to a facebook group :p

Any new news? I thought about contacting Jane to see if anyone has dropped yet, but I figure the next couple of weeks is when people will decide.

Based on the Facebook chatter, there are 3-4 people who are determined to wait until May15th to make their decision, or at least until after this weekend's second looks.

Other than that, I have no news on the MD-only side. However, I do know that the MD/PhD waitlist will not be moving this year.

Based on the Facebook chatter, there are 3-4 people who are determined to wait until May15th to make their decision, or at least until after this weekend's second looks.

Other than that, I have no news on the MD-only side. However, I do know that the MD/PhD waitlist will not be moving this year.

i had a dream last night, where i got a letter from mayo on a camping trip. i felt a huge relief, and told everyone i was going. then as i read the letter more carefully it said i was in "group 5" of the waiting list. i felt stupid, and i wasn't sure what to tell ppl. lol. anyway, it felt pretty real :)

If someone decides to call I would love to know if anyone has been pulled off the waitlist yet. From the facebook posts I think there will be fewer people withdrawing this year.

I called. Jane was her usual helpful self and told me no one has withdrawn yet. She thinks (and I agree) that there will be little movement this year. It seems the facebook group and new curriculum is going to hurt the alternate list movement.

Hey-
So I am sure one person is withdrawing from Mayo, and 95% sure about one other person. However, both are boys :(....

I will still stare wishfully at my phone though ;)

Hey-
So I am sure one person is withdrawing from Mayo, and 95% sure about one other person. However, both are boys :(....

I will still stare wishfully at my phone though ;)

I know of one girl withdrawing too.

My best friend is is withdrawing from Mayo to attend Yale. The second look ensured her decision. I think she'll go for Yale. Hope that helps!

I don't suppose anyone would like to call Jane to ask when they'll be filling in the spots from the waitlist? I think they'll probably wait till after May 15th to get a better picture of who all withdrew...

I don't suppose anyone would like to call Jane to ask when they'll be filling in the spots from the waitlist? I think they'll probably wait till after May 15th to get a better picture of who all withdrew...

She told me before that they fill the spots a day or two ofter the withdrawl.

Waiting till Tuesday....I wonder if they'll send out an email saying that they have appointed people from the waitlist and we should abandon all hope....

I think on Tuesday I'll write Jane to see if they have already taken people of the waitlist.

Waiting till Tuesday....I wonder if they'll send out an email saying that they have appointed people from the waitlist and we should abandon all hope....

I think on Tuesday I'll write Jane to see if they have already taken people of the waitlist.

I think it may take a day or two for them to sort everything out. Maybe we shouldn't officially freak out until Thursday ;)

just sayin hi guys - yeah i am still checkin in on you from time to time... good luck for this coming Wednesday, but remember, no matter what happens a lot of you have some other great acceptances!

thats what i say to myself whenever i think about mayo anyhow... :D

-mike

As of today three people have withdrawn, and those three spots have already been filled. Looks like it is Portland for me.

Mike- Hi stranger. Have you decided on USC?

Sad. Maybe we'll have some last minute droppers.....or people who will withdraw if they are accepted off a waitlist somewhere else....doubtful though....:(

i already withdrew but im sad that no SDNer filled my spot or any other withdrawn spot. mayo's really amazing, keep clinging on, people, there's always hope.

WHOLLY CRAP!!!!

go melissa!

wow dude, i am feeling the same thing you are and it isnt even me - wow, wow, wow

congrats

--mike

and yes, I am USC bound (just turned in withdrawal to ucsd yesterday)

edit: I feel like i know you well enough to where i should call and congratulate you or something, I dont, but still, i cant imagine the mental cartwheels you must be going thru right now...

WOW - just glad one of us made it, feels like some small triumph for me anyway (though it must be a much larger one for you!)

WHOLLY CRAP!!!!

go melissa!

wow dude, i am feeling the same thing you are and it isnt even me - wow, wow, wow

congrats

--mike

and yes, I am USC bound (just turned in withdrawal to ucsd yesterday)

edit: I feel like i know you well enough to where i should call and congratulate you or something, I dont, but still, i cant imagine the mental cartwheels you must be going thru right now...

WOW - just glad one of us made it, feels like some small triumph for me anyway (though it must be a much larger one for you!)

Thanks! I wish you were coming with me Mike. You rode this rollercoaster with me from the beginning. Enjoy the sunshine for me; maybe I'll see you in residency.

Oh- and NO one is picking up their phones (grandparents, dad, husband, mentor) I am about to start going door to door in my neighborhood :p

I will indeed enjoy the sunshine, and if you are ever considering an away rotation, i think that coming to LAC/USC would be interesting, especially coming from mayo (the two hospitals - i toured both - are about as insanely different as two hospitals could be)

(for those who have seen neither, MAYO is gorgeous, covered in art, and there are grand pianos everywhere... while at LAC/USC 'county' you pass thru metal detectors just to get inside and and there are armed guards everywhere)

so a little bit of a different experience :eek:

congrats again, and by all means if you are ever heading to so-cal drop me a line :D

Thanks! I wish you were coming with me Mike. You rode this rollercoaster with me from the beginning. Enjoy the sunshine for me; maybe I'll see you in residency.

Oh- and NO one is picking up their phones (grandparents, dad, husband, mentor) I am about to start going door to door in my neighborhood :p

Congrats!!!!! :D :thumbup:

Thanks everyone, you guys have been my Mayo support group :D

Mike- My dad lives in SD and my family is in LA, so we should totally get lunch or something some time. And don't forget you can always do an away rotation at Mayo!