Mayo (AZ) vs. Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username5

Reaction score
Very honored that I was accepted off the Duke waitlist today, but now I have a tough decision to make. My initial thought is that Duke would need to be significantly cheaper than Mayo for me to attend because I am really excited by the unique opportunities Mayo offers, but I want to hear from others. I am currently interested in dermatology, though I know this may change throughout medical school.

Mayo AZ (Approx $230K total COA)
Pros
  • Significant scholarship
  • Selectives (opportunity to explore non-core rotation specialties early on)
  • Very flexible/individualized curriculum
  • Funding to study at other Mayo campuses/for other extracurricular opportunities
  • True P/F pre-clinical curriculum
  • A good chunk of students matched into derm this year, though I do not know if STEP 1 going P/F will impact this
  • The "Mayo" name recognition
  • Close to family in California

Cons
  • Weather (very very hot summers)
  • Graded clinical curriculum

Duke (No financial aid info yet)
Pros
  • More prestigious?
  • Research year built into the curriculum may help me be more competitive for derm?
  • Possibly a more relaxed attendance policy for classes?
  • Weather is somewhat better (I'm from California, so I am used to not having 4 seasons but not used to sweltering summers)
  • Opportunity to explore a new part of the country

Cons
  • Unclear grading system? Is it P/F pre-clinical only or clinical as well?
  • Far from my family in California
  • Never been to Durham or the South in general so I don't know how I'd like it
  • Higher COL in Durham than Scottsdale, somewhat surprisingly
  • Research year may take away from other opportunities (selectives, travel)

Summary: Overall, this may be a bit of a moot point depending on the financial aid that Duke is able to provide, but I want to have a decision made in case the financial aspect does work out in Duke's favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bias: I don't love Durham as a place.

I would personally go to Mayo AZ unless Duke was able to offer a significantly better financial aid package (>=30k less COA). It is incredibly unique in terms of its offerings + I think family support will be more important than you realize.

Reactions: 1 user
Bias: I don't love Durham as a place.

I would personally go to Mayo AZ unless Duke was able to offer a significantly better financial aid package (>=30k less COA). It is incredibly unique in terms of its offerings + I think family support will be more important than you realize.
That is where I am at right now, too. Given the much higher cost of moving across the country and flights home for holidays, Duke would need to be substantially less expensive. Thank you and I appreciate your thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user