Mayo Clinic Follow-up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emerson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone heard from Mayo after your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

nothin. i'm thinking of calling them, but i'm not sure whether that will help or hurt my cause.

Yes. Very nice e-mails. No promises or guarantees, but very friendly and warm.

I'm having a terrible time trying to decide between this program and another one (my home program, not as well-recognized, but every bit as good as Mayo as far as clinical training. Less emphasis on research).

Can anyone give us an inside scoop as to their impressions of the program? Maybe a Mayo med student or current resident? Or someone who knows the program well? Do you have any concerns or issues with the program?

Thank you SO much for any information you'd like to share. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fanconi-
Just curious...were the e-mails sent in response to e-mails that you had sent them? Or were they sent independently (from the program director?)
Thanks

Independently from the program director as well as one interviewer (I totally clicked with her). Again, no promises or anything. Both just said that something like "We hope that Mayo is in your future."

Now, your turn. What do you think about the place? Really? Please don't sugar coat anything. I'm interested in what people really think/feel about the place. Thx.

I was very impressed by the program. Every resident that I met had only good things to say about it and they all seemed to be genuinely happy. The downsides, of course, are its location and it also seems that the patient population is rather restricted and not the most diverse. Also, it may be easy to get lost amongst such a huge intern class, but overall, its strengths probably outweigh these "weaknesses."

What type of scores (USMLE I and II) do you need for an interview at Mayo Clinic? Research?

Originally posted by Fanconi
Yes. Very nice e-mails. No promises or guarantees, but very friendly and warm.

Can anyone give us an inside scoop as to their impressions of the program? Maybe a Mayo med student or current resident? Or someone who knows the program well? Do you have any concerns or issues with the program?

Thank you SO much for any information you'd like to share. :)

I am neither a Mayo student nor a resident (at least not yet) but spent perhaps the best month of my medical school career out there last summer. So these are my impressions, please season them with salt to taste.

I did a month on one of the two inpatient GI services at St. Mary's and was blown away. It is of course easy to be impressed by the physical structures and the facilities they have in place. Equally impressive is the incredible organization and coordination they have between all facets of healthcare. Staffing is great, nurses are well trained and of pleasant disposition (most people, most of the time) and have 2-3 patients on average. Nurses stay with the teams and floors so they get to know the patients and physicians quite well. Nurses tend to be present in the room during rounds so they have a better idea of the plan (cutting down on miscommunication and endless pages).

Other ancillary staff are excellent as well, multiple phlebotomy and PICC teams mean labs are drawn promptly anytime of day or night they are ordered. One of the best things for me was getting in at 6:45 am and having all the am labs back and on the computer (where I come from labs dont come back before 9:00-9:30).

Admissions tended to be rather smooth as practically every test and study known to modern medicine is available on weekdays. The one interesting thing on this note is that almost nothing gets done on weekends. I also noticed a very strict approach toward admissions and consultants every so often turned down admitting patients they felt were better served by the Clinic. They were also tough on getting patients out as soon as medically possible. Thus, for most cases hospital stays were pretty short and patients were either discharged to be seen in Clinic (sometimes w/in 24hrs of discharge) or to be followed up at their home base.

Teaching. This is clearly the strongest part of the program. GI had morning report every day, a case was presented by the post call team with all pertinent data and was discussed by both services and their consultants (Mayo/British term for attendings). After rounds and before noon conference was another dedicated teaching session by one of the two consultants. The lectures covered the GI core curricullum and were as good as any reviews published in NEJM. Noon conference was well attended, with food served. The quality was also of the highest. On more than one occasion the presenter was the author of the most recent review in the NEJM etc. Teaching was also done during rounds of course and rounds meant seeing patients (so a lot of mileage on those long corridors of St. Mary's!). We had lots of patients and were very busy but a lot of stuff got done quickly so I also had ample time to read between all the above. I got on very well with the residents and they took me under their wings pretty readily.

The main down side of course is that Rochester is Rochester and that is a fact that any one there has chosen to live with. There is a serious paucity of decent eateries in that town. The town also feels weird as everything seems to revolve around Mayo.

I hope this has answered some questions. No doubt it has raised some.
:cool:

Hi,
I am interested in Mayo program in Scottsdale. I was wondering, how do people in the main clinic feel about its satelites? Are they respected? What reputation do satelites have in Rochester?
Thank you.

Hi,
I'm also interested in the Mayo Jacksonville program and was also wondering how people in Rochester felt about the satellites. Also, any idea on what type of scores etc. these programs are looking for? I imagine they're not as competitive as Mayo Rochester but I don't really have a good idea of how competitive they are.
Thanks for any info!

I'm also curious about the reputation/quality of the Mayo satellites? Anyone have any insight they'd like to share?

I am a medical student at Mayo Rochester. From what I have seen thus far, Jacksonville and Scottsdale are well respected by the staff here. Most just see them as another piece of the Mother Mayo and not separate or inferior entities. They both have an excellent reputation.

Although I have yet to spend any time at either Jacksonville or Scottsdale, other students that have told me they are great places to learn. You get the best of both worlds...the high quality ancillary support and the efficient coordination of the Mayo way along with a better location than Rochester. On top of that I have heard that the consultants tend to be a bit more laid back then here in Rochester.

mpp pretty much hit the big stuff about the programs. i interviewed at mayo-scottsdale and was quite impressed. it's an excellent entry way into the mayo system, and many grads go on to rochester for fellowships or practice, or stay in scottsdale. it's a small program (6, growing to 8 next year). awesome facilities and ancillary, although a small hospital with a pretty limited pt population (aka the white oldies), but opportunity to rotate through county. they also pay housing, travel, car rental etc for rotating at the other mayo sites. sweet.