Mayo Clinic MN vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spying_Spice

Reaction score
Mayo Clinic
Pros
  • Renowned for their mentorship program
  • $25,000 scholarship (COA now ~$72,000)
  • A smaller class size potentially means more opportunities for engagement.
  • Competitive match list
Cons
  • The smaller class size
Pitt
Pros
  • Also an excellent mentorship program
  • Competitive match list.
Cons
  • Full cost of attendance with only loans, no scholarships/grants/etc. ~$94,000

I'm in a real conundrum here. Pitt was my #1, but they offered no aid aside from loans. Furthermore, I am a real social butterfly. I went to college in the city, and I really enjoy living in it now. I understand that medical school is not the time for partying, but darn it if I don't like going out when I get the chance. I'm concerned that I won't be as happy with the small class size and isolated region of the Mayo Clinic, but is it worth an extra $100,000 of debt? Both programs are not close to home, but that is not a concern of mine, as my undergrad was not either. Given that the schools are tied in rankings, I can't defer to reputation either. What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclosure: on Mayo WL

It sounds like your heart wants Pitt, so see if they'll match Mayo's offer. Mayo is a peer institution so Pitt might be willing to throw something your way. If they don't match though, I have two thoughts:

1) $280k vs $380k total COA is a big difference. It's also not an insurmountable difference. If you think you would be unhappy at Mayo and happy at Pitt, then personally would go for that. This is a very personal calculation. FWIW I also made the choice to hold my spot at a program while dropping another where the cost delta was similar because I knew me and my spouse would be much happier.

2) Don't underestimate Mayo's strength. Pitt and Mayo may have similar rankings per USNR, but Mayo's ranking is consistently deflated because it relies on internal research funding rather than pulling in big external grants (which USNR overweights IMO). Their clinical training is fantastic, unique and humane, and you'd have the chance to learn in the top hospital in the country.

I lean Mayo, but I also am not a big city person and I like the small class size. I don't think there is a wrong option here—both programs will keep all doors open for you. Congratulations on getting to this point!

I would lean Mayo. That is a lot of money and it doesn’t even consider interest compounding annually after graduation. On top of that, I think Mayo actually has a better name than Pitt, but you obviously can’t go wrong here.